Do i really need a skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasoncwrd2002

Aquarium Advice Freak
55g tank with sump. Have live rock in it. Protein skimmer has been running for awhile with nothing collecting. Bought it on a budget so it's not good quality one

Yes, run that 1 you have till you can save up to buy a good quailty skimmer, they make a world of difference.

They do serve a purpose, but if you're asking if it's truly REQUIRED, then no.

Many people run without skimmers, but to keep the tank clean will require more frequent water changes ... you have to get rid of that "stuff" in the water somehow... either use a skimmer to extract it out of the water, or just throw out the water and replace it with clean stuff.

You don't need one, but they are helpful. How long has the skimmer been running? It might just be that it isn't tuned in yet, which can take from a week to a month at times, before it starts skimming. Open up the air flow as much as possible and the water valve as well, if it has one, though I'm assuming you have a seaclone skimmer which doesn't have one. You have it, so you might as well run it.

if its the sea clone call marineland and order the upgraded propeller kit
it really makes the difference on how it works it has 6 blades rather than 4

skimmate is the nasty junk that collects in your skimmer collector cup...the fish poop =p

I remember my seaclone issues. Open the air calve the whole way and leave it for a day. Then start slowly closing the air valve every day until you start to see results.

Here ya go. If a more specific pic would help better let me know

Attachments

• image-2962204196.jpg
    image-2962204196.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image-363115894.jpg
    image-363115894.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 80
  • image-966097224.jpg
    image-966097224.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 78
  • image-1229465837.jpg
    image-1229465837.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 140
That's a seaclone alright. See the black end on the airline tubing? Screw it until it wants to come off. Gently screw it in so it is secure and wait. It'll take a week or 2 to tube in.

Back
Top Bottom