Do I really need this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am putting together a 10g nano saltwater tank. I need advice on two things.

1) Powerheads
I've read that in a nano my size that a HOB filter is enough of a current for a FOWLR saltwater nano. I've also read that I need to powerheads in opposite end of the tank so I purchased two (Maxi jet 400 and 600). When I got them I took them out and realized that they are super big in my little tank. So my question is...Do I need them? Do I only need one of them?

2) Lighting
The hood I inherited has a spot for 2 tubular bulbs (up to 25w) I was wondering if there were in good ones out there that I could purchase that could eventually grow corals. (this is not my intent right now but if I'm going to buy bulbs I want to keep my options open down the road)

Both of those powerheads are way too big/powerful for a 10 gallon. What hob filter are you using? Gph? You will probably need at least one powerhead but you will want one specific for nano tanks.

Lighting wise I'm assuming they are t8 bulbs since its in a hood. There isn't really anything coral wise you can grow under that light no matter what spectrum t8 bulbs you use.

I too just started a 10g nano tank. I have a HOB filter rated for 5-20 gallon tanks. I have ONE powerhead - maxijet 400 - running on powerhead mode (110gph) at the other end of the tank. Circulation mode (500gph) is much too much flow for a 10g tank and will blow your sand into a storm.
I also run a 50 watt heater but NO skimmer as I will do weekly water changes of about 20%

ok, so I went ahead and put the maxijet 400 in the tank and filled it with saltwater. I'll buy Live Rock tomorrow and then top off the rest.

So currently I have:

50W heater
HOB filter (with no cartridge and 100gph)
Maxi Jet powerhead (110 gph)

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• sw1.jpg
    sw1.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 103
  • sw2.jpg
    sw2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 79
Also that is the old hood and lighting....I'll have the other up with pictures when I get the live rock tomorrow

IMO you want the kind of flow those powerheads give you when in circulation mode. I recommend replacing them with other circulation type powerheads.

What is the difference with the flow? I don't notice a huge difference...and the circulation flow for maxi jet 500 is way too much. The 110 seems to do a good job with the HOB filter

When you have corals you will want more spread out flow rather than the single direction jet flow. Circulation style powerheads have more cone like flow which is what you should have IMO. You want water moving everywhere.

I don't think I'll have the lighting for corals. Unless the light I posted above will work then I won't have lighting that works

Here are a couple pictures after I added some liverock. I also have a few pieces of dry rock coming from bulreefsupply in a few days so when I get them and aquascape them I will post more pictures as things progress.

Attachments

• lr1.jpg
    lr1.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 62
  • lr2.jpg
    lr2.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 100
Yeah, I plan to eventually. As soon as the dry rock gets here I will do some aquascaping to hide some stuff. I'll probably start a new thread to track the progess of my nano.

If you are looking for a smaller less bulky looking powerhead, try a Koralia Nano. With your hob filter, one of those would add plenty of flow. They are about the size of an egg. I use them in my tank, and I love them!
As far as lights go, I don't think those reef sun bulbs will grow any coral, but should be fine for a FOWLR tank.

Yeah, the lighting was the best option with what I had. It still gives me a great look I think. The problem is when I researched the bulbs it seems that no one has reviewed them online yet. I might eventually try to grow coral with them so I can advise people in the future of their potential.

Back
Top Bottom