Do my readings look right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubixCube

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here are my test readings from my tank. I just want to know if im on the right track. Are the levels going to way they should?
This is a spreadsheet i made up to keep track of things.

This is a 77 Gal Tank

i just added some buffer to the tank to try and get the ph up a bit. I have my filter on but not the skimmer. Shoud i turn on the skimmer?

ok, so now that my ammonia is rising, what should i start looking for now? Also, before i had the live rock , i put in two cocktail shrimp. Should i take these out now? Its seems the LR is doing a good job of driving up the ammonia.

Thanks

yeah you can take out the shrimp now, now that your ammonia is raiseing just keep an eye on it and it will start droping and when it reaches 0.00 your good to go :)

The live rock you have is definatly going thru SIGNIFICANT dieoff. I stronly avocate doing some water changes over the course of the next week to lower the total ammonia level as continued exposure to levels of that amount will do great harm to the hitchikers that are on your rock.

I would advise 0 chemicals during the initial cycle and as few there after as possible..... When your Bio filter stage 1 kicks in thoise Am levels will drop quickly.... I agree with the water changes to avoid damage to LR hitchhikers, these unexpected bio's are the stuff aquaria dreams are made of...

ok, just did a water change, about 35%, here are the before and after results.

Before
-------
Ph 8.2
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 4
Nitrate 0

After
-------
Ph 8.2
Nitrite .25
Ammonia 2
Nitrate 0

Again?

Well the Ammonia was down for a bit, but now its back up to 4.0ppm. Why is that and what should i do? Should i do another water change? Remember this is a cycling tank going since the 18th of november. See attatched for complete cycle info.

What test kits are you using.. I prefer Seachem and Salifert.. I know that one of the sponsors are having a deal on Salifert kits right now.. AS for your levels it seems like its still cycling.. Where did you get your LR.. A good place if you place on getting more is Liverocks.com.. you wont experience nearly as much Die-Off and you will like the hitchhikers and everything much much better.. With a level of 4.0ppm of ammonia it seems high.. Can you have your LFS double check your levels or verify with another test kit.. If your levels are truely that High maybe another water change as before would be good..

HTH,
James

i did another water change and started up my wet/dry (reef ready tank) Ammonia seems to be coming down a bit, im going to give it a few days and then see what happens, ill keep posting results.

Are you using RO/DI water for those changes.... Just for kicks I tested my tapwater for NH3/ NH4 / NO2 / NO3 and was amazed at just how much ammonia my tap water had in it.....

Back
Top Bottom