Do Return Damsels? Don't return Damsels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nevada

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have another post with a larger version of my story so here is the abridged version.

Took advice of LFS and now I have a ton of fish in a really new tank. They sold me 16 damsels and I now have 10 (4 blue, 4 B&W and 2 blue/yellowtail). Then they sold me 5 fish on Saturday night (2 Percula Clowns, Flamehawk, Henioches, Hippo Tang). Flamehawk died in less than 24 hours.

I am nervous about my damsels and feel they may be too aggressive and the more aggressive eaters. I have read many ppl here say Damsels can be nightmares and others say since they are all in there I should NOT return them to the store.

I am looking for opinions. Return Damsels? Not return Damsels?

You guys have been so nice and helpful.

Thanks again!

Return them. They will only get more aggressive and torment your other fish. A second question would be do I ever go back to that LFS or not. I say not.

There are some reasonably nice damsels available. I like them, great personality. I say keep the two yellowtail damsels, return the b/w and blue's, and get more yellowtail's or choose another species altogether or return them all. Taken from another post of mine:

"I'll just go ahead and list the damsels I think are least aggressive:

Chrysiptera talboti (some pics do not show their true brilliance!)
Amblyglyphidodon aureus
Chrysiptera parasema
Chrysiptera galba
Chrysiptera cyanea
Pomacentrus vaiuli

Here's a couple of my favorite chromis':
Chromis ovalis
Chromis vanderbilti"

Return them..

Maybe replace with a school of Chromis?? I love mine.. they add a nice element to the Upper portion of the water column

I second Mikes recommendation... Find a new LFS!

Innovator;
I have never seen these fish offered for sale in my Area?
Are they commonly on sale in yours?
"Chrysiptera talboti (some pics do not show their true brilliance!)
Chrysiptera parasema
Chrysiptera galba
Chrysiptera cyanea"

Innovator;
I have never seen these fish offered for sale in my Area?
Are they commonly on sale in yours?
"Chrysiptera talboti (some pics do not show their true brilliance!) - Talbot damsel
Chrysiptera parasema - Yellowtail damsel
Chrysiptera galba - Yellow/Canary damsel
Chrysiptera cyanea" - Blue/Sapphire damsel

I added their common name in blue. These fish are not uncommon by any means. Chrysiptera cyanea and Chrysiptera parasema are still one of the most common damsels available. Chrysiptera talboti is widely available to lfs', quite hardy once they have passed qt, and very easy going. Chrysiptera galba can be harder to find if you are just randomly searching lfs'. Either way, if your lfs cannot get any of these in then they don't have a very good supplier.

IMO there's no such thing as least aggressive damsels. They're all going to wind up to be a PITA someday. They'll go after anything and everything. I had a clown trigger that was three or four times the size of the yellow tail damsels and they still went after it and managed to create a massive lesion on the trigger's tail. From my past experiences I'd say return them and find a new LFS that has more knowledgeable personnel. 16 damsels? Seriously? Anyway, good luck.

I too say return them, if they will accept the return. I too was sold 6 damsels the third day of having my tank setup, and after adding 150lbs of liverock they were an absolute nightmare to catch. To make a long story short, I had to take every piece of live rock out of my tank to catch those little boogers. Although my first LFS wouldn't take them back. Said they didn't know if they got sick in my tank and they didn't want it to infect any of their fish. So I kept them because I felt bad just flushing them. Luckily I didn't lose a single one during my cycle and I took 5 to a FFS (Far Fash Store) 2 hours away and they allowed me to "donate" them. I kept the yellow tail because I liked him. I know have a maroon and gold clown, 2 boxfaces, yellow tang, brittle starfish, a little starfish that I have no idea where he came from and they all do great together. The damsel swims with the box faces and alone he doesn't seem to be aggresive. If he turns aggressive I'll be having a mini fish stick for dinner. :p

Back
Top Bottom