DO shrimp attack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fierro Nights

Aquarium Advice Freak
Everyone, please, has anyone had a fire shrimp attack a starfish or any other tank mates.

my starfish just finished healing a hole in its disk and was placed back into the main tank and just today ( a few days later after addition ) it is now missing an arm w/ damage to its disk.

ive placed the shrimp and star in my sump/fuge and have been watching the two for over an hour, i have had my dinner and drank all in front of the sump watching them, the shrimp has not once picked at the star but only stands on top of it.

my hermit crab in my tank is very small and i doubt it would have harmed my star, the only other crabs are the emerald and the hairy ones but the those all stay hidden under my leather and ive never seen them away from it, damage from rocks may be possible, but my rocks dont shift, and i dont think the star will intentionally rip itself apart on a rock.

It sounds like the shrimp maybe cleaning the star. Fire shrimp are also cleaners.

well i isolated the shrimp in the sump, the star in the display tank, in the morning the star lost the rest of its legs, its disk turning to slime, during inspection the arms where falling apart at joints, there where no pinch or tear marks on the legs, and the star was not being eaten, all pieces remained so i imagine the star was not eating/ was not tank raised/bred and simply deteriorated on its own w/out the aid of tank mates.

Stars are sensative creatures when things are not ideal for them they start to die and fall apart. Do you think maybe there is another explanation to the stars demise? when It is dying the shrimp would definately take advantage of the situation for a snack but not typically while the starfish is healthy and alive. How long have you had the star usually if you bought it unhealthy it would deteriate within a short amount of time Transferring from one tank to another is tought on a starfish they are not the hardiest of creatures.

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fire Shrimp may kill Cleaner Shrimps and may even be aggressive towards Hermit Crabs in your marine aquarium. Also i agree stars are sensitve it may not be the shrimp.
[/FONT]

well the star is long gone, ive had it for about two weeks, slow dripped him in, he was doing great but then he someone got a big hole on his side, so i put him in my sump, after a week it was all healed up so i put him back in the display where he lost a leg, and later all of his legs.

i salvaged the disk w/ the last leg attached, placed in my sump but the leg broke apart and the disk turned to slime, all of its hundreds of tiny plates that made its skin where separating w/ white gaps.

ill prolly never get another star unless its a chocolate chip but not in my reef.

Back
Top Bottom