Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Do you belive in RO water?
Yes- Thats the only water you should use 26 72.22%
No- Tap water is fine for me 10 27.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2005, 09:29 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Reef tank implys high output lights as well as live rock and corals. Most FO tanks have low to moderate light at most there for excessive nutrients like phosphates is not that big of a deal. Its after you add the high intensity lights that the higher nutrients really starts to show problems if your water source has those problems.

Aloe or anything that is to increase the slime coat will cause a skimmer to go crazy I dont belive prime does this.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Prime actually has a section that says that it is specially formulated so as not to overactivate skimmers. The seaclone I used to have absolutely hated the other stuff.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:29 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya know... I started out my main with tap. Figured "how bad could it be"? The LFS said we could either use theirs or ours. Whichever was more convenient. I didn't know enough at the time to know I couldn't trust 'em. I just figured they knew what they were talking about... RIGHT?! wrong.

I did go out and buy an RO/DI unit. Did I have to? Dunno. What I do know is that there is cyano up against my glass in the sand. I can only guess that's where my tap water is still lurking. When it gets up to my main it dissapates and doesn't linger but I've been using RO/DI exclusively since just after Christmas (when I had my massive feeding accident). Seeing that cyano in my sand makes me think I'm probably lucky that I switched over from tap when I did. My tap starts out at a TDS of 150 and goes into my salt mix at 0. I feel really good about that. Absolutely necessary? Probably not. Am I glad I went RO/DI? You bet. I don't need to battle hair algae nor cyano. There are more than enough challenges in this hobby (like having enough money, lol). I don't need to add to them!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:39 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

From my experiance, RO is the way to go

When my filters started to go on my RO you could definitly tell just by looking at the tank. Started getting algea blooms and a touch of teh cyano. And that was with at least some sort of filtration on the water, I don't even want to think how bad it would be if it was just tap water
Old 04-27-2005, 10:43 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Prime doesn't have aloe vera, and happens to be the dechlor i most often recommend.

Tap water CAN be ok, but it varies so much from location to location, that its' tricky to decide. True RO/DI water will always work. Tap water 'might' work.
If you had a $2,000 reef setup, stocked with fish and corals, would you really wanna skimp on water that isn't pristine?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:51 AM   #26
zacdl

The LFS said Enid water is good, and said I should be OK to use it.

So far the only reason that I should NOT use it is the possible possibility that I may have algea later on. And if that happens I can just convert over to RO (Algeas not a bad thing it just looks bad).
Old 04-27-2005, 11:36 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can have the local water service wether it's city or whatever give you a copy of their monthly water report. It will tell you the ph, calcium levels, heavy metal content, or other info you are interested. I did the same and quicklly came to the conclusion that ro is what I have to use. Too much chlorine, silicates, and calcium.
Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:59 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

RO water for my reef tank, and tab for my FOWLR plus FW tanks.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:05 PM   #29
zacdl

I think I am going to do a FOWLR.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:23 PM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Knowing what your water looks like on the heavy metal stand point is good also. If you have to much in the way of 'hard' water you woudl benifit from a RO unit.

While minor alge problems can be delt with those with poor water quality often find the algae to be uncontrolable. (ie cyano covering the entire substrate and rocks every day or every other day, or hair algae growing at a rate that your pulling handfulls out every few days.)

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, ro water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com