Do you need a filter when using a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
People have told me that if you set up your sump right you wont need to use a filter? Can someone shed some light? Thanks. :D

3 types of filtration; biological, chemical and mechanical.

If you are using LR then the bacteria will colonize there and take care of the biological filtration. Your skimmer (if I remember correctly you are running one) and CUC (clean up crew) will take care of the mechanical and a filter sock if you choose to use one. Chemical can be taken care of by adding those to the flow in the sump when you need it.

That being said lots of people, like me, also run a HOB or canister as well but it's not needed.

In reality, even w/o a sump you could just run a LR system with a HOB skimmer and be very successful

hz2luze is this you from rcnitro tralk buddy??

Yes sir! Welcome to AA!

Captain... Thanks man you are extremely helpful! Just to clarify I dont have anything yet. Just the tank and a 20g tank for sump.

Small world, lol

i Agree, LR and skimmer, I use a HOB filter in my sump, but thats just to keep bacterialized (word) for my QT when needed.

You know, if thats not a word, Im copyrighting it.lol

I had this same question. I'm new here so forgive my ignorance. I just bought a 20g long to use for a sump with my 55g (currently cichlid but wanting to change over). If I have the sump along with my filstar xp2, where inline would I put the canitser, after the over flow or inline after the sump??? Or is the filter a stand alone entity along with the sump? Don't mean to hijack this thread.

You can use the canister filter as a return pump or stand alone with a seperate return. Id suggest using the latter in case the canister fails or if it is known to need a lot of maintenance.

I would think IF you used a filter, you may want to not make it inline. I doubt the return would be enough (or might) to get the water back into the tank.
I work for an ISP, sometimes more equipment adds more points of failure....

I was thinking of a HOB for the sump so if I need to set up a QT tank then the filter will be seeded? Good idea?

Yeah, that's what most people do anyways. Keep a separate filter running on the main tank for a QT tank. Life is just easier when you are prepared for the worst right? :p

So just to be clear if i run a HOB filter on my sump and have like a 20G QT tank all I have to do is fill the QT tank with premixed salt RO water and put the filter on then add fish?

Yes and no. Yes, if the filter has media that hosts the beneficial bacteria.
No (possibly) if you add more fish than the beneficial bacteria (biofilter) can handle. For example, if you add one or maybe two small fish (depending on the fish) you should be ok (also depending on how much media you have in the filter). If you add a lot of fish, the bio filter may not be enough to convert the ammonia to nitrItes to nitrAtes.

So what is a good way to have a QT tank ready? Just have it run all the time? I dont like that idea...

No, you are on the right track. Just don't add a bunch of fish at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom