Do Zoo's always stay closed when light is off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got my first Zoo (green neon)... very small. It's been in the tank about a week now. Is it normal for her to stay closed unless the metal halide is on?

Zoo is about half way up the tank. Light is on approx 5-7hrs a day

Tank - 34gall solana aquariuum
Metal halide 150w

Many corals (including zoos) close up at "night" when the lights are off. Conversely some open up or extend feeding tentacles at night. So it's probably OK. However, 5-7 hours is a pretty short photoperiod, particularly if you don't have any other lighting (i.e. additional PC or T5 bulbs). I'd suggest a timer for the light so that the photoperiod is consistent, and also a slightly longer one, although I don't have experience with MHs, so I'll let someone else who does chime in as to how long the light should be on.

Mine close up when the lights go off. I dont have MH`s. I have VHO`s. Sounds like normal to my experience.

Thanks for the replies!... I am actually buying a timer this weekend. I would like to get some opniions now on how long I should leave my MH on for? From what I was reading I thought 5-7hrs was ok... Hmmmm everyone please chime in :)

The equator has a 12 hour photo period. I have my actinic on for 12 hours and my MH on for 10 (1 hour less each side for dawn/dusk effect).

I cant help much because I have 4 VHO bulbs. I run the actinic 12 hours (9A-9P) and the 50/50 (9:30A-8:30P) on 11 hrs.I know it does not as far as the MH`s.

I guess I'm the odd ball here, but my zoa's stay opened after the lights are out.
My lights are on a 12 hr schedule.
11AM - 2 x 165w VHO actinics ON
Noon - 2 x 40w daylight fluorescent ON
1 PM - 3 x 175w MH ON
9 PM - MH OFF
10 PM - daylights OFF
11 PM - actinics OFF

I'm with you cccapt. Not all of mine stay open but many of them do. My AOG (armor of God) stay open pretty much all the time. A few others I have stay open with lights out.

I guess it depends on the coral.

8 to 12 hours. The amount of light can effect your tanks temp and algea growth though.

Nothing , but he asked in another reply how long he should leave lights on. Sorry i didnt quote it , just read back. O K.. Unless that was a legit question then , nothing , .

What does that have to do with Zoas staying open after the lights are out?

Back
Top Bottom