Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Does a 40 gallon need a sump?

I am going to be putting together a 40 gallon breeder for my first saltwater. I am going to start out as fish only and move up to a reef tank with mostly soft corals.

I like the smaller more community fish like clowns, chromis, and cardinals.

The only thing I have decided on for sure is the tank size.

Now I am wondering if a sump is necessary or if I could get away with a good canister filter?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 03-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

First off, Fish Only tanks are a bit harder to run. Without much BB in the tank, it's hard for it to digest. You need to have live rock for corals also. So in other words, you really want a FOWLR system. For a 40b IMO a sump would be better. I have one word for the canister: NITRATES! You need to clean them well weekly to keep them down. An AC130 would probably work well too. I've never had a 40b personally, but I'm planning on one, and I'm gonna do a sump.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not necessary, but nice to have. Can easily be done either way though so it's up to how you want to set it up
Old 03-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

My mistake I should have clarified, I plan on using live rock and live sand to start but add fish first and then add some corals. I just see so many forums talking about sumps I was just wondering if they were really worth all the work or if a good filter will do the same thing...

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

On a larger tank I would say they are more necessary, but on that size tank regular filters can be just as good.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My mind has been going round and round about this same question. Good to hear someone else with the same type of questions.

Tags
40 gallon, gallon, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com