does anyone knw what kind of paint I need to paint the back of a glass tank black???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any spray paint works fine IME. I usually get a can of the $.75 black at walmart. I've found it's the hardest to scratch, believe it or not.

mfdrookie516 said:
Any spray paint works fine IME. I usually get a can of the $.75 black at walmart. I've found it's the hardest to scratch, believe it or not.

really ? cool ok il go today and check that out will it work for acrylic also ? cuz I'm not 100% sure if it's glass

I'd be very careful about spraying the tank if you have fish in it you could contaminate the water. I used a small can of benjamin moore rolled it on and its been on there for 7-8 years

tonedogz said:
I'd be very careful about spraying the tank if you have fish in it you could contaminate the water. I used a small can of benjamin moore rolled it on and its been on there for 7-8 years

this tank doesn't have fish. also I'm going to paint the outside of it, and not inside.

alex07 said:
Walmart also has Krylon Fusion.

I'm here at walmart is the fusion better than the cheaper stuff ? I just wana make sure I get the right stuff

Your tank is set up already? In the house? With fish in? If so oil based paint is gonna stink BUT may be safer in the long run. Sorry I didn't read the whole thread. You don't wanna spray in the house your gonna get ALOT of over spray TRUST ME, I did it and had paint everywhere. I covered everything too! And the vapors lingered for a while.

So roll on, if your tank is in the house and set up might me a safer route. If not and it where me is spray away.

tonedogz said:
I know your not painting the inside

He meant painting inside the house of the tank was filled.....I did that with the oil based. Roll on and used two fans to dry it quick an opened all windows lol dry over night and smell gone in two days no fish loss etc

I just spray painted with krylon fusion frm walmart it was about 4bucks. I painted inside my garage. it was easy and not messy at all. thanks for the help guys.

Should I apply a second coat of paint after the first coat is completely dry?

it's already dry I'm applying the second coat.when il hold the tank to the light I can see the imperfection

Attachments

• image-3785605999.jpg
    image-3785605999.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 70
@squidy07. Wow it looks really good baby! I'm glad you're makin it work.

Back
Top Bottom