Does anyone turn their pumps off during feeding times in their DT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone turn their pumps off during feeding times in their DT? I know I've been looking at wave makers and they all seem to have a feed mode where the pumps are turned down quite a bit. I don't have one yet, haven't decided on them really, but I'm wondering if I should turn the return pump off during say a 10 minute feeding time? thanks...

Steve

I dont cut mine off but I do know some folks that do. Makes it easier for the fish to feed. I just figure nature does not cut the "pumps" off so why should I. I can see their reasoning though.

I have tried cutting the pumps off before, but it freak the fish out and they would hide

I tried shutting down the pumps a few times as well. My fish seemed confused and took cover instead of eating. I guess they like to work for their food.

I don't cut my pumps off. the food that goes over and into my sump feeds all the fish that have gone over the falls since I set up my tank. LOL

I turned my PHs off, but not the main return pump. When I stepped up to the tank and turned the PHs off, the fish went crazy because they knew it was time to eat.

I kill power to my skimmer and return pump, leaving the 4 power heads running. That way the fish still need to chase down their food, but is all stays in circulation long enough for the corals, snails, stars, etc. to feed.

I turn them back on after about 15 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom