Does/can a skimmer replace the filter pads in a 28 gal nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonju

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a prism skimmer for my 28 gal nano reef/fish tank I inherited. I understand the benefits of a skimmer, but am unclear if one can replace the other :ermm:

The tank has been going along well, I do weekly water changes to ensure the best water quality for my little friends and due to the number of fish I have. I am upgrading to LED lights, but would like to ride out the year without too many equipment purchases. I am going to move to a larger tank next July.

Thanks in advance!

I have:
1 Bubble coral, 1 encrusting montipora, 1 leather coral, 1 small open brain(not doing too well (underfed initially I think), 1 frog spawn, 2 different zoa colonies on the small side, 7 orange mushrooms, 1 tuxedo urchin, 1 horned starfish, 2 clowns, 1 pj cardinal, 1 red lip blemmie, 1 two spotted goby (yellow?), 3 scarlet hermits, 3 blue hermits, 2 nacarrius snails, 2 turbo snails.

Hi. Welcome to the forum!

I have a biocube 29g and I don't use a skimmer. I just do my weekly water changes and all is well.

Not sure the stock lighting on your cube is enough for a monti or a brain coral though, so try to get those led's soon, Ibet they perk up really well and grow even better.

I have upgraded the stock cf lights with the combo cf lights. I am excited to get the new lighting and be more in control of the temp of the tank.

I am hoping the skimmer gets me away from the weekly water changes, in the event I go away for a week or so, my friend will have limited duties then.

Is that wishful thinking???

I don;t think you'll see a noticeable benefit with the current nano skimmers for that tank. I'm trying the biocube skimmer and so far the reviews are accurate, it;s not very good....

This one I think fits in your cube with slight modification

AquaticLife 115 Skimmer

It comes with much better reviews.

Also I think theres a different cup you can use for a tunze skimmer so that it fits in your back part.

Skinny Tunze Cup

I got the Prizm high efficiency hang on skimmer. Works great, narrow depth, fits behind my nanocube28 easily. No complicated setup! I would definitely recommend this product. I got the one for aquariums up to 40 gallons. Includes filtration media, a pump for oxygenation, height adjustment and convergent-divergent reaction chamber with triple pass air flow. Love it!

Back
Top Bottom