Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question Does/can a skimmer replace the filter pads in a 28 gal nano?

I just bought a prism skimmer for my 28 gal nano reef/fish tank I inherited. I understand the benefits of a skimmer, but am unclear if one can replace the other

The tank has been going along well, I do weekly water changes to ensure the best water quality for my little friends and due to the number of fish I have. I am upgrading to LED lights, but would like to ride out the year without too many equipment purchases. I am going to move to a larger tank next July.

Thanks in advance!

I have:
1 Bubble coral, 1 encrusting montipora, 1 leather coral, 1 small open brain(not doing too well (underfed initially I think), 1 frog spawn, 2 different zoa colonies on the small side, 7 orange mushrooms, 1 tuxedo urchin, 1 horned starfish, 2 clowns, 1 pj cardinal, 1 red lip blemmie, 1 two spotted goby (yellow?), 3 scarlet hermits, 3 blue hermits, 2 nacarrius snails, 2 turbo snails.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hi. Welcome to the forum!

I have a biocube 29g and I don't use a skimmer. I just do my weekly water changes and all is well.

Not sure the stock lighting on your cube is enough for a monti or a brain coral though, so try to get those led's soon, Ibet they perk up really well and grow even better.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have upgraded the stock cf lights with the combo cf lights. I am excited to get the new lighting and be more in control of the temp of the tank.

I am hoping the skimmer gets me away from the weekly water changes, in the event I go away for a week or so, my friend will have limited duties then.

Is that wishful thinking???
Old 08-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don;t think you'll see a noticeable benefit with the current nano skimmers for that tank. I'm trying the biocube skimmer and so far the reviews are accurate, it;s not very good....

This one I think fits in your cube with slight modification

AquaticLife 115 Skimmer

It comes with much better reviews.

Also I think theres a different cup you can use for a tunze skimmer so that it fits in your back part.

Skinny Tunze Cup
Old 08-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I got the Prizm high efficiency hang on skimmer. Works great, narrow depth, fits behind my nanocube28 easily. No complicated setup! I would definitely recommend this product. I got the one for aquariums up to 40 gallons. Includes filtration media, a pump for oxygenation, height adjustment and convergent-divergent reaction chamber with triple pass air flow. Love it!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks Carey for the input, it has been helpful.

Tags
filter, nano, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com