Does dead rock help filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMyers18

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have some LR that is'nt live anymore and i know that LR helps filter but does it because it's live or cuz it's porus or what???

The rock doesn't filter, it is the life within that does. You could bring it back to life with a quantity of live rock to go with it.

I beg to differ, it will filter the only thing it would take a while until the beneficial bacteria starts to adher to it. Also , by adding it to the bottom of the good Live rock, it can get seeded and become just as useful as the others.

What is it that will do the filtering if there is no life? The rock gives the setting for the denitrification to take place. I also stated that I can be brought back to life (seeded) with the help of some live rock.
You can get a cycle going in a rockless tank too, but live rock is a much more efficient biofilter.

i agree with q-shark it wont do anything as it is now, but give it some time and some live rock to seed it and it will be alive soon enough. this is basically just base rock now. i added agood deal of base rock to my tank along with a few pieces of LR, and now it is all beautiful and "alive".

I think both guys were getting to the same point, no it won't today, but let it get in there and seed with the good stuff and yes it will!

You guys simply said the same thing in different ways. It needs to come back to life...and when it does, it'll be live rock, and will provide biological filtration again. Speed up this process with a few pieces of live rock.

Back
Top Bottom