does Fla LR give off phosphate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Everyone one of the LFS look at me like i did something bad when i tell them i have gulf LR and ill will nothing but issues with it and leakin phosphate....i am having a green slime alage issue....and just started using a phosphate filter
anythought on this?

Never heard of that. Gulf rock will often have more life on it, some of which may die and break down into phosphate, but once that initial spike is over with, it should be fine.

Yeah, the big reef place near me swears only by the products they sell. Everything else is bad for dubious reasons.

yeah...i figured that
so has anyone had problem with gettin coraline to grow on gulf rock?
my gulf rock is ugly....and i got a few fuji peices with alot of coraline and its slowly spreading but not on the gulf rock....how fast does it grow once it starts...
any tips on gettin this to grow

Scrub a patch of rock clean, break off bits of coralline and rub them over the clean spot. Should seed it well. I'd be more interested though in the native stuff on the gulf rock. The coralline will spread eventually, it's just slow where it has to compete with already well established organisms on the gulf rock.

That's a bit backwards. If your LFS has fiji rock that good, go for it! I'm used to the gulf rock having more life. What company did you buy it from?

Definately try seeding the gulf rock with some coraline scrapes then.

so its not good to mix?? i didnt think it mattered
tampabayliverock is where i got it from....i cycled with it so jsut about everything on it died....:( maybe a bad move but its in teh past...cant change it...plus i felt it was better to cycle with LR with fish
see the pics on mysite....you'll see why i have bought these LR frags

Mixing is just fine. Some people actually prefer it that way, figuring that they will maximize thier biodiversity that way. I was just encouraging you to continue getting those choice pieces with live corals and such if they're available locally to pick over.

Yeah, the place I want to someday order my live rock from (tampabaysaltwater) sends it in two installments, and won't send you the second shipment until you've verified that your initial cycle is complete. There's alot more dieoff during the ammonia spike than you would get otherwise.

I have close to 400lbs of florida and gulf rock from liverocks.com and test have never detected any phosphate in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom