Does shape matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirky88

Aquarium Advice Regular
M looking at a couple of different salt water setups one is a cube one is rectangle

Dimension for the first 77cm high 70 cm long and 70 deep

Second is 73 high 102 long and 52 deep

I'm looking at doing a reef tank with basic corals to start off with (like zoas) so I'm just wondering which if any shape is better

The size of the aquarium doesn't matter, just factor in the lighting and powerhead for each setup. Rectangle vs. cube is really your preference.

Well if you wanna go super specific... The one with the bigger surface area is better because you can fit more coral. But that's the only difference :p

Are there any limitations I can expect going the cube I'm trying to plan the aquascape in my head as well as look for pictures online to see what people have done my main concern is will I be limited in what I can do with coral

No. The cube is probably gonna be easier to aqua scape in my opinion. And either way you can create the same amount of space for coral.

Khij159753 said:
Well if you wanna go super specific... The one with the bigger surface area is better because you can fit more coral. But that's the only difference :p

+1 when setting up a reef imo the front to back room is the most important because it allows for a better aquascape. Next to consider is height of the tank because the par reading will drop off drastically after about 20" of water meaning more light will be needed to reach the floor of the tank. Length of the tank really only matters when it comes to fish selection (more active swimmers like tangs need longer tanks).

Back
Top Bottom