Does the introduction of addtional LR.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Start your cycle over again?

I have about 1/3 of the LR I need (30 pounds in a 75 gallon)

But LR is no where to be found.

IF my cycle is complete and I add additional LR will it start again?

It will if you add uncured live rock. If you find it at a LFS, ask them only for cured pieces...ones that have been there a while. If you get relatively recently harveseted, uncured pieces, there will be some die off resulting in an ammonia spike. I think you may need around 80 or 85 more pounds. If you mail order it, you will definitely have some die off because of the long transit. But...if your tank is fully cycled as is...I don't think that this new mini cycle will last near as long because of the denitrification process already happening from the bacteria that is built up in your filtration system. Also...your current "cured" 30 lbs. will help as well. When you do find new LR, look for the most porous pieces you can find. These are the ones that have the most surface area for bacteria growth. Any heavy pieces should be avoided, because they are dense, and not very porous. Check http://drsfostersmith.com They have some beautiful LR in packs that'll siut your needs.

I agree that if the rock is cured then you wont see another cycle. If you do get uncured LR then cure it yourself in a rubbermaid tote. We have something about it in our article section.

Back
Top Bottom