Does the system really need these additives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Having done some research before adding some corals to my tank (a torch, a zoo and two leathers) I've noticed that some advocate adding some food to the system. My local LFS gave me a free bottle of a product called phytogenesis (or something like that) and another said add Marine Snow to the tank. Does the system really need these additives? Will my corals benefit from this? I only have a few corals so I'm wondering if that is something down the road when I add more.

Thanks...Steve

a torch, zoanthids, and leathers don't require any supplemental feeding. chances are, you'll just lower the water quality, before you see any benefit from food in the water column.
actually, you can have a tank packed with corals and all will do very well without the addition of supplemental food.

Thanks Doug. I was also going to add in my post (not my tank) stuff like Coral Vite, Coral this or Coral that. There are products like Iodide, magnesium, vitamins, etc. Has anyone used this stuff with any success. It seems that most people just add calcium through one form or another. Just wondering what people do for reef setups.

Steve

Normal partial water changes are generally all that's needed. I dose Alk and Ca daily because my testing shows those being depleted by my sps corals and clam.
You need to Test/Dose/Test on a regular basis IF you dose anything.

I agree that regular PWC`s is all you need. For twelve yrs that`s all I`ve done and have got nice growth out of my corals. As stated above you`ll just lower water quality with it.

I was at my LFS today and realized that about 90% of what's on the shelf is like a western movie and the elixir pedlar. And just confirmed by you guys.

I've stopped testing everyday since the cycle ended and now go about 2 times a week. I think after a while I'll get to know the critters in my tank and tell if something is up by them and reduce the testing even further. How often do you guys test?

Steve

well, for the first year i tested a couple times a week...tapering off towards the end of the year to about once a week or so, then probably not testing for 2 years after that. when something looked funny, i'd do a water change. when everything looked ok, i'd do a water change...when the moon was full, water change...eclipse of the sun...yep..you guessed it...water change...lol.

I gree on weekly testing for the first year or two, and then whenever you suspect something has gone awry. I'm back to testing every week at a minimum and sometimes more as I'm adding more sps corals and a recent clam addition. I'm dialing in my daily 2 part additive (Alk and Ca) so I don't over or under do the amount.

Back
Top Bottom