Does this sound good for a newb to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnatbhs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im starting with a 55 gallon short. Thats 36 in x 18in x 18 in.
with a 20 gallon sump below it.

for lighting i am using a sundial t5 36 in lighting system

sump-20-25 lbs of live rock and a protein skimmer
main tank-50 lbs of live rock, maybe start 20-30 live and 20-30 base rock and get the base rock seeded.

im going with about a 3 in sandbed of live sand

i got 2 100 watt heaters. i am getting a test kit. im getting a mag 5 pump for the sump. im getting 1 strong powerhead or 2 smaller ones

im kinda unsure of how to start it up.

im thinking about getting salinity and temp correct for about 24-48 hours and then going to get live rock and sand. how much live rock should i start with so that it does not all die.

anything else that i need?

Skip the "live sand" unless you can verify its really live. that will free up alot of money for your rock.

I personally placed my rock in the tank, then added all my sand. I didnt rinse the sand near enough so it took forever to clear. rinse,rinse,rinse

I used straight aragonite sandhttp://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...l4qe2rXogq422mvcA&sig2=gyLFIpD2A8e9vHo90rPNmg because i couldnt prove to myself that the bags of live sand were actually live after sitting on the shelves for a long time.

Are you ordering the live rock or buying it locally?

Put the rock in all at one time. The longer it's out of water the more die off you will have. Put the rock in first, then the sand so that the rock won't fall over. If you get some Gobies they will dig and if the rock is on the sand, you will get a rock slide and have to redo your landscape again.

Sounds like you are off to a better start than a lot of folks. A couple things that I would strongly recommend are getting a refractometer to measure your salinity and a source of RO water. RO is important and whether you get it at the LFS, grocery store, or make it yourself; is invaluable IMO.

i was planning on buying my live rock locally, but at 7 $ a pound (when it is on sale) i think that getting it from one of the internet sites like international marine fish might be a better idea, atleast the cost is less

Are you in a large metro area? Most have reef clubs and I routinely see club members sell LR for $2-3 / lb.

Skip the "live sand" unless you can verify its really live. that will free up alot of money for your rock.

I personally placed my rock in the tank, then added all my sand. I didnt rinse the sand near enough so it took forever to clear. rinse,rinse,rinse

I used straight aragonite sand because i couldnt prove to myself that the bags of live sand were actually live after sitting on the shelves for a long time.

Are you ordering the live rock or buying it locally?

have you ever read the bag live sand comes in ?

they have a very short self life at my store we are always sending it back

but on the bag itself it says do not buy past this date and has a date

Back
Top Bottom