Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Does this sound like something I shold do?

My Mom sees the guy I got my tank from every now and again at her work. She saw him today, and he was telling her how sorry he is about all the problems I have been having. He was telling her I should take the rocks out, just a few at a time, and scrub them and wash them out. I am just not sure this is a good idea. Some of the rocks look yicky, but I don't want to do anything that might disrupt the cycle. And once I get some snails and things they will clean the rock right?

Old 04-27-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you are still in your cycle LEAVE IT ALONE!!! Your cycle might not be messed up if you do but why chance it. It is happening for a reason. Every stage has a reason even if it is algea. It will eventually crash plus the addition of hermits and snails will help tremendously.

Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, that is what I thought, I just needed someone to conferm it. My mother will come over to the house and look at the tank and go "eeew, aren't you going to clean those rocks" I have tried and tried to explain why I am not touching the tank, but it just won't sink in. And now she has had someone else tell her that is what I should do, so now I will never hear the end of it I know she is just trying to help though.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, don't mess with it. If you want, you could get a turkey baster and blow some of the die off from the rocks.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:57 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The rock might be in some die off. Are you having alot of ammonia and nitrite issues? If so then removign the rock and scrubbing it can help as it can remove anythting thats dieing off on the rock. If the rock smells of death when its removed thats also a good sign of excessive dieoff.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't worry about the appearance right now. My rocks looked pretty bad and then about two weeks ago, diatom algae grew all over them and the sand. They looked pretty nasty but then suddenly all the colors started to come back...purples, whites, etc. The snails and hermit crabs didn't hurt either...
Old 04-27-2005, 05:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Woa~! could you please edit that out? Kidding or not, its not nice. She is really trying to help me out.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

done.

sorry, I'm used to posting on sports message boards.

good luck with your tank.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com