Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2005, 03:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to IworkatPSP
Does this thing actually work?

http://www.ecoaqualizer.com/products.htm

It showed me a video that looked like the DNA video in Jurrasic Park.....But I don't really understand any of the mumbo jumbo they were saying it did.

But one of their claims is that it helps add consistancy to water quality and it stops green algae.

Anyone heard anything about these?

Thanks,

Matt

Old 12-22-2005, 04:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's a bunch of bs. There's no way a water molecule would trap something as big as the harmful nitrates and phosphates. It's chemically and physically impossible.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK - I was intrigued. So I had a little coffee, thought deep thoughts, and did a little digging.....

Water molecules are bound together with weak bonds called hydrogen bonds - think about water as being sticky for other water molecules. Electricity and magnetic fields do indeed break apart these bonds. Also the shape of the water molecule "clusters" change. The clusters do become more tetrahedral in shape which will allow spaces for molecules that normally would not attach to water ( hydrophobic molecules) and colloids ( really small particles suspended in a fluid) to attach. And yes, the transfer of light will happen better - but not for the reasons you might think ( ie clearer - cleaner water).

Here are what I see as some potential problems :

The hydrogen bonding is reponsible for the high energy needed to turn liquid water into gaseous water. This is why it takes so long for water to boil, to evaporate, and to do such a marvelous job at keeping us cool when we sweat. When this bonding is broken, water will evaporate faster. You should have to top off more frequently. I could see this being an issue for those with MH lights.

The weakened hydrogen bonding also effect the amount of DO in the water. By weakening the bonds, the DO will be lower. It also apparently changes the levels of dissolved CO2. Messing with the bonding will impact the pH of the water.

The increase in the light transfer really intrigued me. This increase in photon transfer is due to the smaller number of nanobubbles of oxygen in the water. These bubbles scatter light, so with fewer nanobubbles due to less DO, the light is not scattered and continues to move through the tank.

Cool stuff ( science - wise ) but I'm not convinced that the advertised benefits would outway some of the potential problems. This device should actually affect the viscosity of the water as well.

Whew ....

JG
Old 12-22-2005, 09:57 AM   #4
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

oh yeah - less DO in the water means less thing living in the water ( such as algae ). This is one of the reasons why the wamer waters of the tropic paradises are so clear looking. The higher temps mean less DO. here in New England, the cold water holds more DO and the waves roll in nice and green.

So yeah, I could believe it decreases the algae problem, but again, I am not convinced that the method is overall a healthy one for the aquarium.

JG
Old 12-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbob
That's a bunch of bs.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to fishrfreinds
"I felt it my Duty to test it out"

LOL

I dont want to be a Advice Freak!
fishrfreinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the explanation JG. Their claims that it does all these great things without having any side effects on anything had my internal BS alarm sounding off. As complex as our little eco systems are, just about anything you do has many implications... and that's just of what we know about.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, i still have a lot of questions about the whole thing. A lot of this type of work is done at extremely low temperatures and with super powerful magnets. So although the science behind it seems to be factual, I question the implementation within the tank .

They stuff about the infra-red is questionable as well. Your heater gives off infra-red. Again higher water temps will decrease the DO levels as well.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
*cough* Crap! *cough*

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com