Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dont hate me :( (Sump / Refugium)

I know there are a lot of Sump / Refugium threads out there but I could not find an answer to my question.

I need some clarification as well

Please correct me if I am wrong but a Sump is just to increase water volume and a refugium is someplace that you can have good organisms growing without being eaten or filtered out.

Now I am making a 10 gallon mini reef and I had a small saltwater tank before and I would have to add water all the time to get the correct salinity. So since reefs are so sensitive I was thinking of making a Sump / Refugium.

My question is how big of a Sump / Refugium should I aim to make? I have an empty 10 gallon tank and 20 gallon tank and 40 gallon tank to use for this purpose.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not use the 40g as your DT and the 20 as your sump?
If not I would use the 40 as the sump. The Refugium is also a place that can grwo macroalgae so that there is no excess of nutrients to keep algae from growing in your DT.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with TC, the more water volume you have, the easier it is to maintain. 40 will make for a nice reef tank.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My shelf is small so it can only hold the 10 gallons. I have room under my desk but then I won't see the tank.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

After I get this tank going and i prove to myself that i can have a reef tank I might upgrade to my 55 gallon so ill be needing all the advice I can get from you guys
Old 07-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

55 would be alot easier than a 20
Old 07-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I know its more stable but I can't afford to maintain it. But if I can handle this then the investment would be worth it.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
is back to save the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilicar View Post
I know its more stable but I can't afford to maintain it. But if I can handle this then the investment would be worth it.
I heard that.. My 55G was a nightmare because i had like 0$ to stock it, and only a little $ to keep it stable with salt and fish food.. But now, my 25G tank is stable and it's so easy to do all my maintenance.. almost like nothing. Clean algae off the glass with the mag float.. and my water changes are all done through pumps so i barely have to do anything haha. It also helps that i have a refugium plumbed in.. everything i don't want in the DT i put in there.. I would definitely advise to have a sump/fuge plumbed in. You can't beat having one.. honestly.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilicar View Post
After I get this tank going and i prove to myself that i can have a reef tank I might upgrade to my 55 gallon so ill be needing all the advice I can get from you guys
Sorry to say but a 10 might turn you off of saltwater thinking it's to hard when in reality it was the fact that 10 is way to small for a Saltwater tank.
It's your call but it won't be easy with a 10g...IMO
Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
you could start with a 20g that way its a little easier than a 10, but not as pricey as a 40g and then you could use the 10g as a sump, or even the 40g as the sump and the 10g as a refugium. Your call.

Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refugium, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com