Dont Laugh! I can Possibly maybe almost could probably make an attempt a SW!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Title says it all (and a bit more besides). After 6 years of staying solely in the FW department, im thinking of trying out saltwater. Which i know next to nothing abou. Whats a sump? and whats a proein skimmer?

Since im hoping to share this tank with my whole family, i have to deal with 2 tiny children who are dead set on gettin a 150 billion gallon tank with lionfish, clownfish, sea stars, coral, great white sharks, and giant squids.

Now, slow down a bit cowboys, but we probably arent getting 150 billion gallons. or sharks. but probably giant squids...

No, seriously, im thinking of a small 29 gallon reef. Ithink. I hope. ARGH!!! It seems I hav no obvious question. So this is it.

-Id like to improve my knowlede of sw tanks. Please give me any beginner advice, common sense, or even good luck rituals.

-Also, plese let me know some good starter reef/ sw fish, and if reefs are even a good idea for a newbie.

-and finally, will something like a biocube do? Ive heard a bit about them and am in the market for a square shape...

After having a year pass since i last got a tank, the folks are letting me get another tank. And id really like to ty saltwater and not another FW. Ive got 8. And i love each of them, but with salwater yo have a bunch more options

Lastly iapologize for every typo. my keybard is garbage lately.

It helps to decide what fish you want then decide on the size of tank. Do you want a reef tank with corals or just a tank with sand and rock? Read as much as you can before deciding what you want then start saving, it is better to buy something once than buying to 2 or 3 times to upgrade what you really want.

Three things you will need is patience, refractometer and a good test kit to start with and money!

Well, i was at the LFS the other day, and was blown away by the coral. I mean, i havent really looked at them, but honestly they're just spectacular. So yeah, id love a reef. Also maybe a clownfish or 2. And a flame angel i think its called? I also love shrimp, so maybe a couple scarlet skunk shrimp. And definitely a starfish. That's about all i really know about SW, and all i really want... Are these guys all compatible?

Angels are known to nip at corals. Dwarfs not as much but still do occasionally. The rest will work together.

Get a biocube. They come with most everything u need. They look nice and I think are great for beginners. With upgraded lighting u could also have quite a few corals

Joe5688 said:
Get a biocube. They come with most everything u need. They look nice and I think are great for beginners. With upgraded lighting u could also have quite a few corals

^^^^ I'd say this... Trust me! With a few nice mods ;)

The cube will sing!!! :)

I agree if you wanna jump right in and get started BCs are great but there's something about starting from scratch and ending up with a chunk of the ocean in your home that's just satisfying lol

Yes, those fish are compatible. The scarlet cleaner Shrimp are great!! Research your starfish cuz some get really big. I have a dwarf angel, and he thinks zoanthids corals are delicious :( so it's hit or miss with dwarf angels and corals. I just started my first SW tank couple months ago, and I'm totally addicted now!! It's a little daunting at first, but research A LOT and you'll do fine!! :)

Back
Top Bottom