Dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LKemp712

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started my coral tank about two months ago. Everything in my tank looks fantastic but I want to help growth so I'd like to try dosing. Does anyone have any advice on what and how much to dose? My tank is only a 20g.

Dosing is completely unnecessary. A good wc schedule will benefit your corals more.

You will need some quality test kits (Salifert or Elos) and you'll have to know your parameters. I can't stress enough how dangerous it is to blindly dump in things.
Proper parameters will cause corals to grow at the correct rate, not more of one thing or the other. In other words, more is not better.
That said, lighting is very important as well. Some folks may have inadequate lighting and corals will survive, but just not grow much, or at all.
Flow is another important factor. You need the correct flow for the coral in question.
Bribo is correct in that in many cases, a weekly water change regimen is enough to keep parameters in check.

Agreed. I would not dose anything I couldn't test for. A small reef is very sensitive to overdosing. Just use a good salt mix and do weekly or biweekly water exchanges. Then if you get lots of coral going, buy the test kits before doing anything else .

I have an API test kit that I have been using for about a year, which I'm now finding out is pretty unreliable. That being said, as of now my parameters are- pH: 8.0, Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 0 and Ammonia: .25 - .50. Which is a little high... :/

Dosing is completely unnecessary. A good wc schedule will benefit your corals more.

This is true for most trace elements but there are some salt mixes that have calcium issues. I would test for calcium to make sure you have enough of that.

Only if he has hard corals, otherwise the calcium level at 350-400 is fine for fish, even soft corals. that's where IO tests at and it's recommended use is fish only systems. They make RC for reefs and it has the added calcium (plus some controversial vitamins I have heard). I still use RC and only dose if parameters require it.

Back
Top Bottom