Dosing ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Dosed up to 4ppm 3 days ago and it still hasn't dropped. Normal? My ph is at 8, any way to raise that without using buffers?
Supra

Why did you dose so much? 4ppm is way too high. I would do some water changes to help drop it.
No reason to try to raise your pH. 8 is fine and it will fluctuate while you are cycling.

When I cycled my tank I dosed to 4ppm. It takes a week or 2 to start seeing it drop. Patience is needed. :)
But I'm a freswater person. Don't know about salt. Sorry.

Hholly said:
When I cycled my tank I dosed to 4ppm. It takes a week or 2 to start seeing it drop. Patience is needed. :)
But I'm a freswater person. Don't know about salt. Sorry.

2 wks? Uhhg
Supra

IME 4ppm, is perfectly fine to begin dosing. On my current tank, I slipped my hand and initially dosed to 6ppm by accident. The ammonia started to go down after 4-5 days. I did however seed with 2lbs/gallon LR and a good 5" of LS. The cycle was complete after a little more than 3 weeks.

I wouldn't go over 2 ppm and once it got there I would start doing water changes.
I'll try to find the study showing how raising ammonia too high actually extends the cycle. Basically the high ammonia forces the production of too much bacteria. Once you start adding fish they can't produce enough ammonia for all the bacteria to live and it starts to die off and sets off another small cycle.

Back
Top Bottom