Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to mrcrazypants05
Dosing ammonia for cycle... bad?

I was just wondering if dosing with pure ammonia would be better than the shrimp or maybe the shrimp is better because it dissolves and breaks down slower? What would really be better? Any benefits of either?

125gallon - 3 Giant Danios - 1 7" Jack Dempsey - 1 5˝" Green Terror - 1 9" Lutino Oscar
65RR - SW - 30g Sump w/fuge - 40lbs MI LR 30lbs Base - 4-5"Sand Bed - 2 false black perculas, 1 six line wrasse, 1 peppermint shrimp, 6 zebra hermits, 6 blue leg hermits, 6 nassarius snails, 6 astrea snails
mrcrazypants05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i would go with the uncooked shrimp it seems to be the norm

hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Shrimp is better because it will work the natural process of decay.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
A. Shrimp will produce exactly the same result except it takes time to break down and turn into ammonia.
B. Dosing the ammonia is instant.
C. Shrimp, you get to see breakdown and disappear while ammonia provides no viewing enjoyment.
D. Both will provide desired results.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm using ammonia at the moment to recycle my tank after unexplained fish deaths. I started off by adding enough to give a reading of 1 ppm and dosed this every morning. My ammonia is now dropping to zero within 12 hours of dosing...nitrites were at 0.3 last night (3.0 the night before).....hopefully be zero tonight.

It's only taken me a week to get to this stage, but this was because the tank was already cycled (I'm just simulating an increase in bioload). If all is zero tonight or tomorrow I'll do a 50% water change and add 3 Chromis.

Does this sound sensible? (Sorry to hijack your post with my own question!!!)

55 Gall glass. 30-40lb LR, CPR Bakpak 2R skimmer, Eheim 2215 canister, 2 x MJ1200 PHs for flow. 2 NO Marine White tubes, fine layer of Arganite for substrate. Just switched to RO water.

Occupants - Currently re-cycling tank....will be adding 3 Chromis once cycled
philthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ammonia all the way for me. I'm told a decaying shrimp can make the whole place stink. Ammonia has no odor once diluted in the tank. Very easy to use. I didn't carefully dose it, I just estimated what the tank should get and then filled the lid to the 2nd or 3rd thread and dumped it in.

a small zoo is cool!
coolchinchilla is offline   Reply With Quote

ammonia, cycle, dosing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com