Dosing Calcium Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fiddlerthecrab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!

I've had three saltwater tanks (10, 29, and 75 Gallon Tanks) set up and functioning well now for about a year. I hate to say it, but this whole time, I've had no idea on how to calculate exactly how much calcuim to add to get to a desired amount. I would simply take a bucket with about 1 gallon of purified water in it, add small amounts of calcium, and have a small air-tube slowly drip the water (drip by drip) into my sump over a period of time until i got my desired level in the main tank. I currently use Calcium Marine Plus (shown in the picture). On the back on the container (also shown in a picture), it says it:

- Add one measuring spoon (provided with the container) per 20 liters of aquarium water (Roughly 5 Gallons)

- One measuring spoon will increase the tank 34 mg per liter (34.038838302 Parts Per Million)

I've got a 75 gallon tank, and estimate that the gallons of actual water is 50 Gallons (50 Gallons is roughly 190 Liters)

I need to raise my calcium 40 PPM. I'm having trouble figuring out how to calculate this. I'm certain that I'm way over-complicating this whole thing, but I can't seem to find anything online that calculates this for this specific type of Calcium. I've tried using the calculator on Bulkreefsupply.com but it only calculates according to their brand and a two-part method.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Calcium Front.jpg
    Calcium Front.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Calcium Back.jpg
    Calcium Back.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 52
If 1 spoon raises calcium 34ppm in 5 gal...
then 10 spoons will raise calcium 34 ppm in 50 gal...
and 2.5 spoons will raise calcium 8.5 ppm in 50 gal.
12.5 spoons is a rise of 42.5 ppm in 50 gal. Close enough?
I would dose that over the couse of about 4 days.

Back
Top Bottom