Dosing - What do you dose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxamillion

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am trying to get a feel for what to dose when it comes to basic maintenance as well as for those with corals. This goes for anyone!! Including FO, FOWLR. Please share this information, hopefully when I get some time I will try to combine the data and put it into an excel spread sheet.

Please also add what you feed, including mixtures of food, if the recipe is not too secret, invert food etc.

And for those of you who dose Epsom Salts - AKA Magnesium Sulfate (if any of you do) how much do you use?

Please, for the correct interpretation of the numbers you provide, also include your tank specs (if not in your signature or profile) including total gal. for the system with sump, fuge etc. And just to prove how well they are working attach pictures if possible.

I would like to thank everyone who provides any data. This hobby is full of alternatives, and people believe that some stuff works for what they are doing.. but correlation does not mean causation. I want to find out what is actually working for people and spread that word, rather than having so many people go through the expensive trial and error process so many people go through.

Thanks,
Max

Kent products.

microvert
phytoplex
and liquid reactor

use only as directed :)

Kent products as well.
Iodine
Strontium/molybedenum
essential elements
micro vert
liquid calcium

Just ordered a kent auto dose dripper and have a 450 gram can of kalkwasser mix ready for it.

and yeah, what Jason said.. use as directed. Actually its a 10 gallon tank so if it says to put a capful (teaspoon) per 50 or 55 gallons in, i'll try and put about 1/5th of the cap in. Working well so far. Make sure not to overdose on anything. Its always better to have less than more. For example, its better to have a living shrimp that might have problems molting due to low iodine levels instead of having a dead shrimp that died and now can't molt due to a too high level of iodine. Just be careful, you will get the hang of it eventually.
HTH
-Stewie

I do mine by drops..........

20 or so drops is a teaspoon.

I put 12 drops in of everything when I dose my 20 gallon.

Well, AFTER I test my water to see if I even need to dose....I'll dose Kent's dry Super dKh (alk buffer) and/or Kent's dry Turbo Calcium...separately to avoid clouding/precipitating.

The key is to test first to make sure you need something.
My magnesium level is always good so I've never had to dose anything. (regular water changes keep traces in the right range)

Back
Top Bottom