Dows anyone know what this brown slime is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisshboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, as title suggests iv recently upgraded from a juwel trigon 190L to a 5ftx2ftx2ft tank and iv been getting lots of brown/red slime looking stuff in the sump iv tried to get a picture but i had cleared a lot of it, i never had it in my other tank the only new thing i do is put sheets of red marine algae in for my tangs could this be causin it or is it some sort of slime algae? Is so how can i get rid of i

Many thanks

Attachments

• image-1757056924.jpg
    image-1757056924.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 116
  • image-2969110363.jpg
    image-2969110363.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 125
Sounds like cyano. On my phone and can't see pics that well. It is a nutrient issue that can come from tap water and over feeding. Lessen feedings, do water changes with ro/di or di at best.

I use a 6stage RO/DI unit TDS 0, phosphate level is also 0 iv been told that could cause it

The only think i had fed was red algae and seaweed sheets when it started, not that much maybe an inch square of each twice throughout 2 days, i feed very little to keep nitrates down.

The only filter as such i have is live rock no other types of filter heres a few more pictures of the gunk stuff i took earlier almost looks like the stuff from the ghost busters movie :)

Attachments

• image-3372401488.jpg
    image-3372401488.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2203694994.jpg
    image-2203694994.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image-629345612.jpg
    image-629345612.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 107
Well that must be rather annoying. Have you thought about adding a filter sock to catch any detritus that falls down into your sump? I'd recommend getting 3 or 4 as you'll need to replace them every few days when they build up with gunk.

Apart from that I would be thinking about changing the water in your sump and giving it a good clean.

I'm a big fan of panty hose in place of filter socks. As long as you keep them changed out you won't have issues with clogging. And getting 2 for 88 cents why not change them out weekly.

I just rotate my socks, I have about 20 at least. lol And at like $5 a pop it's worth it to me. :)

The filter sock will catch any junk that is floating around, I would highly recommend getting one and trying it out.

What's best way to clean the socks after use as got few need cleaning

I have 4 filter socks i rotate around yeah, i think im gonna have to empty the sump and clean it which isnt ideal because its awkward to get to and cannot be removed without tank been empty to remove supports

I wash my socks in the washing machine with a cup of bleach. I then run it through another cycle with no bleach to make sure the bleach is out of them. Also, no soap, just bleach. :)

Back
Top Bottom