Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dream Tank

Dream Tank

Hiya guys,

I am just thinking about the plans for my 'dream tank' which i plan to do in summer 2005.

The tank will be 5 x 5 x 2, so around 1500l/350 gal.

The sump will be 6x7x3 so 3250l/750 gal.

the prop tank will be 3x2x1 so 150 l/30 gal

the above sump which will hold caulerpa/xenia or just extra water, will be 3.5x4x3 so 1000l/ 250 gal.

The tank will 99% sps with maybe a few lps. It will be a live rock filtration, and the lighting will be on a pulley mechanism so can be highered and lowered. I hope to have the lighting like this:

The 2 central actinics will be on 24/7 and i will try and think of a way so that it has an effect of the moon moving over the tank, eg have one of the actinics on for longer then the other. The other four avtinics will be deltec t5 dimmables, so i will get them too come on i sequence, so theback right first then back left, then front right (maybe at same time as back left), then front left. then the four 250 watt halides will follow the same pattern and then for the midday sun the two 400 watters come on in sequence. And then for the lights going off it will follow the same sequnce. I plan to have the actincs on for 12 hours, the 250 watters on for 10 hours and the 400s on for 8 hours.

I plan to have two closed loops and one carlson surge device on the tank:

The tank will have two 50 gal tanks either side of the tank which go most of the full depth of the tank, which will be fed by a deltec hlp 4040 pump (4500l/h). the closed loops will then be run back into the tank by piping which will feed into the tank at the surface and down to under the rockwork. The carlson surge device will be again run by a deltec hlp 4040, and will againbe around a 50 gal tank which will then feed into the closed loop tank which will then feed into the tank through the piping.

The sumps etc:

The tank will have a weir which runs the full back length of the tank, and will have four sockmans, 3 of wich will feed into the upper sump, which will hold caulerpa, or xenia?,or just extra water. and the other one will feed into the prop tank which will have the frags on egg crate and the piping will feed into the tank under the egg crate and have a spray bar going either side so keeping detrious in suspension and having some random water movement for the acros. From the upper sump the water will normaly flow into the sump. But i will have a t piece and some ball valves so i will be able to direct the water into the water change tank where i will be able to get rid of the water and make up new water. and this will keep water changes to the exact amounts. from the water change tank the water will be able to flow down the drainor into the sump again with some t pieces and ball valves.

On the stand the equipment will be:

Oh yeah frag tank lit by arcadia series 3 250 watt 14k. The skimmer i will use will be either a deltec ap 1004 http://www.deltecaquariumsolutions.com/skimmers_10.php
or a deltec ap 1006 http://www.deltecaquariumsolutions.com/skimmers_11.php

then i will have a deltec pf 1000 calcium reactor http://www.deltecaquariumsolutions.c...reactors_5.php, the effluent of which will run into a second ca reactor, a deltec pf 509 http://www.deltecaquariumsolutions.c...reactors_1.php(as i alrady have it). Which will run for 8 hours in the middle of the light regime.

The kalk stirrer will be a deltec km 500 http://www.deltecaquariumsolutions.com/kalkstir_1.php, under rated for the tank i will have but i think as llong as i clean and top up the kalk in it, it should run okay. This will run using a aqua medic sp 3000 (50ml a minute) and will be run at night and done using a float switch.

I will have two deltec fr 509 fluidosed reactors, one will have rowaphos and the other carbon. both underrated but shouldnt be needed ifi run the caulerpa.

Just wondering what you guys think of this set-up, and what you would do differently if you were deseigning it?

Andrew

Old 02-15-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

ohh forgot the 4 tunze streams with rated output of 10,000litres each and controlled using the multicontroller.

and also my 24/7 feeding regime of a kent bucket ro water, food eg pellets and flake, and aairpump and some peri pumps!

Old 02-15-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman
looks like you put some thought into this one....hope it goes well for you
Old 02-15-2004, 09:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah me too

on the uper sump side what would you do with it? would you have caulerpa, as i am worrying about this asi have heard of them crashing,which cant be good, and also there are no tanks that have them that have been running long term so we dont know the consquences?

does xenia take out nitrate and phosphate, just cant remember if i read this somewhere or if imdreaming it
Old 02-15-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Two words come to mind. Deep pockets.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
wow that is going to be some $$$$ in that tank. your enegery bill is going to be so high with that lighting.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

seriously. whats the estimated cost of just setting this guy up? wish i could do something like that.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

okay the house/garage is going to be redone which will cost around £1000 but i need to do it anyway and that is for other things like replastering etc.

the skimmer is £2000 - 30000 depending on which skimmer i choose.
the ca reactor is £600
the two main pumps (ididnt mention them earlier but they are deltec ones that run at 9000 l/h) £ 1000 together
the two closed loop pumps £600 together
fluidized reactor £100
the tanks is £1500,

and lighting is actinics, are £800,
hqi are £1200

pipework around £500
and then extras in the room, eg basing etc £500

around £9000 to £1000!!!!!!! lol

but thats what i have been saving for the past 6 summers.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
around 9000 to 1000 i think you might have for got a 0. and one euro is about 1 dollar. wow i wish i could do some thing like that. you will have to post pic every so often so we can all dream about having some thing like that too.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

will do but not doing it for a year and a half.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com