Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Drill or HOB overflow?

I'm curious as to whether or not it's better or more economical to get a tank drilled or get an overflow installed. I'm starting to get parts for a new reef tank (still another 2 years off but doesn't hurt to slowly piece things together).I know my first reef is going to be a 40 gal with a 20 long sump but I'm wondering whether or not I should just get the CPR overflow or not because I certainly see myself upgrading to ~100gallons in the next 4-5 years.

Crepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'd use an overflow box, when you eventually decide to upgrade its easier to sell the tank if its not drilled or you can even use it as a DIY sump

Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
definitely better to drill a tank than use a HOB unit. there are more than enough people who want sumps and will appreciate a drilled tank, if you want to sell it.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm with Mr_X. I had an overflow box on my previous 75Gal tank, it was ok but its always in the back of your mind, what if the siphon stops, something gets in there and plugs it up. My new 90 Gal tank I drilled, it was very easy and it works great.. I wont use an overflow box ever again..

Porkys are great, If it can fit in it's mouth, it will eat it. If it cant fit, it will constantly try to make it fit.
amdninjaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Drilled IMO, I've heard too many stories of the overflow boxes losing suctions and causing messes. Plus, they look nicer
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote

flow, hob, hob overflow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com