Drilled Hole Issue !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JsQuid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Good evening you all, I'm trying to figure out what to do. I had a 2.5 inch hole drilled in the left Corner of my 40 gallon breeder for the glass holes over flow kit. However, the glass shop's placement is a bit low. Roughly 3.5 inches from the black trim. This means my water level is going to be extremely low. I figure I can some how implement a loc line for the return & redrill another hole on the opposite side at the right height for the desired water level. So, what are you alls recommendations? Should I try this water level or developer a loc line system and add another hole for the overflow?

image-888404375.jpg

image-2574723577.jpg

Yep...a 90 with a strainer and you can adjust the height. Not as quiet as the other scenario however.

Thanks for the comments! I'm still uncertain of exactly what you two are referring too. Is there anyway you could more thoroughly explain? This is my first time working with plumbing. Sorry for the difficulties! Thanks, Jesse

Also, the overflow has a predrilled hole, so I'm confused as to how I can insert PVC inside the overflow box... The overflow box doesn't have room inside to insert anything.

Thanks for the comments! I'm still uncertain of exactly what you two are referring too. Is there anyway you could more thoroughly explain? This is my first time working with plumbing. Sorry for the difficulties! Thanks, Jesse

When you install the bulk head fitting that goes through the glass
Use a PVC 90 elbow on the inside ( waterside ) of the tank pointing up .
Cut a short piece of PVC and insert it into the 90 elbow .

So if I am understanding correctly, the 90 elbow connects to the bulkhead facing up. But, is the elbow inside the overflow box or what? How will i install the overflow box with the newly added pvc components?

So if I am understanding correctly, the 90 elbow connects to the bulkhead facing up. But, is the elbow inside the overflow box or what? How will i install the overflow box with the newly added pvc components?

What are the dimensions inside the overflow box ?
I'm sure you could find a 90 elbow .
They aren't that big and normally overflow boxes are if decent size .

I believe that the PVC is in lieu of the overflow box. What ever height you cut the PVC to will be the water level.

The overflow box on the inside is exactly 1.5 inches.

The overflow box on the inside is exactly 1.5 inches.

I would use a 90 elbow and the height of the standing pipe from the elbow can be cut to your desired water level .
I would leave the over flow box out instead of drilling another hole in the other end .
Work with what you have rather then making it worse .

But it also has 2 side compartments so there is barely enough room to even spin the bulkhead nut.

The bulkhead itself is just really big. Maybe I can find a shorter one & that one would work better I believe.

So then how will the overflow box be secured? On the opposite side of the bulkhead in the overflow box is the nut, will the elbow have to be screwed on behind the bulkhead nut?

I attached photos so you all could better understand what I'm referring too. Maybe that will help me understand better as well.

image-1371755728.jpg

image-4196463204.jpg

What there saying is dont use the over flow box use a bulkhead in place of it.
In this video you will see a bulkhead installed on a tank look at the elbow you want the same thing inside your tank except the pipe will point up You cut the pipe about 1/2 inch below the rim of the tank this will make the water level about 1/2 inch below the rim
Aquarium Overflow 30 Gallon 1'' to 10 Gallon Sump Filter - YouTube

I want to use the overflow box. I already purchased it. My girlfriend would kill me if just used it without. Here is how far it is away, I just would prefer the water to be as close to the trim as possible, for drain purposes in case of a flood and so forth.

image-2947720516.jpg

only way i can see using it would be to glue panes of plexi glass to the box in order to raise the rim height

Yeah that work but I don't want to take the risk of ruining the overflow box. How high does the water generally stay while flowing through the overflow box? I would like it to be right at the rim if possible?

Most times the water flows about 1/4 in above the tooth bottom. Use silicone to glue the panes it can be removed later with little fuss

Back
Top Bottom