Drilling a hole for overflow.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which holes are you speaking of? A 45mm bit will drill a hole for a 1" bulkhead, unless you use those heavy duty schedule 80. Now, will you be drilling for a return too, or coming over the top? I prefer coming over the top unless you have a rimless tank. Why drill another hole if you don't have to? I would just use one of these-
203300-CPR-Aquatics-Aquarium-Return-Jet-a_1.jpg

That's cool! I always thought there had to be two holes.

Cheep tools

My family owns hardware stores, I've grown up in them. You couldn't pay me to buy a tool of eBay. It may be cheap but what about the quality? Is it gonna shatter the glass? Or is it gonna break after two rotations?

I agree you get what you pay for but why pay say $30 for a hole saw that you will use one time. If it was to be used on the job by all means the higher quality tool is a must!

I got both of my drill bits from amazon for about $15 total, maybe a little less. They worked just fine drilling my tanks holes and I expect they will be good for another half dozen or so, more than I or my reef club members will need in the forseeable future.

It really is easy, I havent held the drill myself but had a reef club member do it and it seemed very easy and straightforward. As X said, let the drill do the work, just guide it and thats all you have to do. It may take a few minutes per hole, dont be alarmed, this is normal.

That's not a bad idea Mr x about the hang on overflow. Do you have one of these? I might consider drilling for the return because of the clean look it gives

IME the hang on overflow is the most obtrusive while the hang on return is the less obtrusive. Has anyone mentioned that most glass tanks have tempered glass bottoms and can't have the bottom drilled?

Ezy33 my 40b has a sticker on the bottom that says that.

Yes, I called the company just a couple days ago, since a friend was going to capitalize on the buck a gallon sale, and they said only the bottom is tempered.
As for the HOB overflow, I don't think I said that- I would use a Glass Holes Overflow though. That's what i have on my 105-
img_2900806_0_b6917700d0e374a40288632adcade5a3.jpg

I drilled for return, but my tank is rimless, and meant to be viewed from the top as well as the sides and front. If i was using a standard tank, I would not have drilled the return.

So, you could either do one of these overflow boxes, or a simple 90 with a strainer on it-
img_2900806_1_b217cf528a7909c2c9e4bfca2c34dd2e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom