Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-24-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
drilling glass?

Can you do this yourself? Or is it easier left up to a pro? How easy could it be? Right?

Jeraljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 01:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
If it's tempered then not even a professional can do it, tempered glass is under constant stress (tempering), drilling it will release the stress (which is actually tension) and cause the whole piece to shatter..

Plate glass can be drilled, typically I think people do this with a piece of copper pipe and some very fine sand.. (friction cut). Personally, I think it's best to leave this one up to professionals, they break it they bought it, you break it and you have to replace it.

120 Gal SW, 150lbs Prem. Fiji, 23Gal Sump, 2x250w 15K MH, 4x65w Actinic
3 x Halichoeres Chrysus (1 surfed), 3 x Nemateleotris magnifica, 1 x Centropyge bicolor, 11 x Scarlet Hermits, 6 x Zebra Hermits, 40 x Astrea Snails, 6 x Nassarius Snails, 3 x Cerith Snails
Wizzard~Of~Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 08:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Like Oz said if tempered you can NOT drill, if your not sure if you have tempered glass or not then contact the company that made the tank and they can tell you. The bottom of most tanks are tempered with the sides and ends being regular glass.
I know for a fact that the 55 gal tanks sold at walmart are tempered, learned the hard way while having it drilled.

Is it hard to do no, but it takes a steady hand a high quality diamond hole saw bit and lots of fluid for lubrication.
Guys in the reef club Im in drill tanks all the time with no issues, the club got a set of bits for use to use and it working out well.
The pros use a drill press, but with care and palnning you can do it free hand.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
The tank I purchased is fairly old. So I doubt it is tempered but thanks for the info. I think I am going to go to a pro, I have decided I am going to want at least 6 holes drilled(2 drain, 4 return) and I dont want to risk me messing it up.

Jeraljay is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com