Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-22-2006, 05:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Anyone here have experiences with drilling tanks.?

I wanted my 29gal to be drill so i can install it with a sump.

Does anyone have knowledge on what tools and procedure to drilling a

tank. Thanks.

danhs0supa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Don't push!!!

Really, I've seen it done and talked to folks who do. They were in an LFS working on tanks. I'd see if there is a shop near you that can do it for you.

When I saw it done, it was explained to me that the drill needs to do the work, and that if you push, you're likely to break the glass. Glass, right?

Good tools and a drill bit probably ain't something you have sitting around the house I'll bet. I've also heard stuff about glass being tempered or not and that having a lot to do with whether you can drill it. I'll bet a 29's bottom would be a huge problem for you or an LFS -they probably won't touch it either.

Sounds like it's time to upgrade to a reef ready, drilled tank.

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
You need a diamond tipped drill bit which is fairly expensive. I dont think it would be worth the price of the bit if u only plan on drilling one tank. I would try to find someone that does it regularly and let them do it. You can find the bits at hardware stores and some aquarium supply websites. They run about 80-90$ from wut i have seen.
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you shop the net you can find Diamond hole bits cheap, and they work. I have drilled several tanks and we just did a demo at your last club meeting. If the LFS charges 30-50 a hole I would look into buying a bit. Bottoms on most tanks are tempered so you can't drill them. check with the company that made your tank too see if its all tempered before drilling.
If you do drill plan on where you want the holes and take your time use plenty of water to keep the bit cool and for lubrication. keep the drill straight is very important do not bend or twist it, you can crack the tank if its gets teisted in the hole.
My buddy made a drill guide out of a piece of 2x4, he cut a hole in the wood slightly larger then the diamond bit and then put another on the under side and clamped the 2 together. he added lots of water and took his time. It can be done just go slow.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com