Driving you all crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok...this lighting issue is still driving me crazy. I keep getting conflicting info from the vendors when I call and ask questions.

Today I was told that AB is discontinuing the making of their 110 volt product line and will stick to the European market. Also, that all manufacturers were going to be moving away from HQI bulbs. Yet, I am reading that the HQI gives you twice the lumens of a normal MH bulb in the same wattage. I also read that HQI is cheaper and cooler to run.
Then I talked to the guy at Aquadirect that said the only advantage of HQI over MH is about 3% improvement in lighting. The overall output is twice as much as a MH, but the surface area of an HQI bulb is less than half of a MH, and so it evens out.

argh...I was hoping to have a lighting system bought by now...but I just keep confusing myself. Can anyone relate any real experience with this?

In the 2002 Marine Fish and Reef USA annual Sanjay Joshi did an article Spectral Analysis of Metal Halide Lamps. In the article, if I remember correctly a 150W HQI bulb (w/reflector) was compared to a mogul type 400W (unreflected) MH bulb. The hqi was almost as intense as the 400W, I'm not real sure if it says more about the bulb or the need for a good reflector. If you can get a back issue (I think the new one is out now) you should check it out, if you can't let me know and I'll scan the article and send it to you (might have to be snail mail, my scanner get's confused on hard words sometimes).

I have read the article.....so, are you saying this is what you would do? ;)

Look, this is all your fault anyway...well, all of you here that talked me into saltwater...so the least you can do is help me spend my money.

To be perfectly honest...I don't know what I would do. I would probably go with moguls, IMO, mogul based MH are more durable and have a longer life. From what I have read...the hqis are overdriven by 110v ballasts, they are designed for the European market. That is why you get the increase in intensity, but I would think with the increased intensity...you get shorter bulb life and accelerated spectral shift. the candle that burns at both ends..., the mogul based bulbs are also less likely to break due to splash.

There is a price differene of about 20. + or-, depending on who you buy them from.

Which one is cheaper? If the hqi's are cheaper then the shortened life span might be a null issue, if they are more expensive, I would definitely go with mogul based...more frequent replacement and increased replacement cost for a little more intensity.... 8O

Well, the decision has been made. My husband liked all he had been reading about the HQI's, he also liked the idea the ballasts were in the hood itself. He did find a supplier for the HQI bulbs that had them at roughly the same cost as the regular MH's. There was some concern over the quality of the ballasts at marine depot...so, I guess in about a week, we shall see if all the hoopla over this lighting is true...

I wonder if the ballasts being in the hood will complicate the heat issue? I've never used MH, but I'm guessing the ballasts get pretty hot. If it does cause a heat problem, is the unit designed in such a way that the ballasts could be removed from the hood and remote mounted? I know...I'm such a cynic. Did I mention that the sky is probably going to fall tomorrow? :twisted: :lol:
Logan J

I prefer the ballasts to be in a separate enclosure. I don't like the extra weight in the hood. Regular core&coil MH ballasts get hot enough to fry eggs so you don't want them in your hood. Electronic HQI ballast should be lighter and cooler but I still wouldn't want them in my hood. If you don't have room for a remote enclosure then I guess you don't have a choice. Ballasts that close to a tub of SW sounds like a bad idea. I would worry more about corrosion than heat although if that's how they are designed it's probably OK.
Glad to hear you are not skimping on the lights. High intensity is the way to go.

I am going on the premise that these folks, aqualine buschke, have a very high reputation for quality. On that note, I am hoping they know what they are doing.

I have read, on other boards, that people that own this system are quite pleased with it and have not mentioned a heat issue.

Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom