Dry base rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been reading through the older forums and noticed several post with reguards to dry base rock. Found a site where I can get 100lbs. for 243$. I've looked into and am leaning toward buying/using it. But can't find anything telling me if I would cure/cycle this any different from LR? Should I mix in a few pieces of LR? Can I use all dry? etc... Open ended question and I'm sorry for that.

Thank you

Tammy :rolleyes:

P.S. Forgot to mention my tank is new and empty...

Last edited:
That`s a good deal. Just put it in your tank and you can cure the rock and cycle your tank at the same time. Just use a piece of shrimp. It`s explained in our article section on Sw cycling.

Thanks, Mike. I read the article I just didn't know if things were different with dry... :)

if you have a piece of already live that would be a good thing to put in

It's all the same, if you add any LR to it while it's cycling you will "seed" the cycle which can speed it up a little. Otherwise just a big source of ammonia and the bacteria will grow from who knows where to eat it.

I bought my "dry rock" from Marco Rocks....really nice looking! Can't remember the price, but check it out! Then I bought a little LR from the LFS

Cabezon, Jimbo7, and lbannie.

Thanks so much for the help, you guys are great. I'm super glad I found this forum...

Back
Top Bottom