Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

dry live rock

is it a bad idea to add dry rock into an already cycled tank, I need to add additional rock and I have sum laying around that was once in a friends aquarium a long time ago, I thought I could maybe save sum money but If it's not good I won't bother. I also have several hermits and snails in my tank already.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Put it in a separate container of salt water and test it. Not uncommon for dry rock to have stuff that starts to decay again once it gets wet. Brush it off real good with a stiff nylon brush and water first.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

how long should I have it in the alternate container? I read that it would not be out of the question to bleach it before adding it to the container , of course a very very thorough rinse would be deemed necessary
Old 01-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Leave it in until there's no ammonia or nitrite. Can also add some Cycle or something to speed that up. IF you decide to bleach it, rinse and soak several times until you cannot smell any bleach. Then in a final rinse, treat it with a chemical dechlorinator.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

if I were to add a uv filter into the container would this also speed up the process, I tend to use it when I'm preparing water before tank changes after I've d-ionized it but when I had it o before I noticed a small shock when I put my hand in the water lol was terribly painful like I could keep my hand in it, does this mean the filters defective? or is that simply it working?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

wasn't painful ***
Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

leave it in for about a week
Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never been a fan of UV filters. Not for ponds or for aquariums. Proper biology is more beneficial than sterile water, IMO.
Two things to consider with your UV sterilizer with the cycling rock questions.
First, the point of the cycle is to grow bacteria, not to kill it. Seems counterintuitive to me.
Second, most of the bacteria you're growing will be in the rock or on the container sides, not floating around the water column, so I don't see it actually affecting the cycle in any way.
As for the shock... sounds like there's a short in it, and current is getting into the water. While probably not a huge issue, it's certainly not a good thing.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

alright thank you very much for your insight! I'll leave the rock in the container for a week or so I'm just doing a major clean of it with a brush and breaking off anything loose, but is it alright to sterilize my water with the UV for water changes? I tend to do this days before hand just so I'm prepared making d-ionized water for top offs and pre-mixing sum saltwater for the changes I then bottle it up. does this seem like I good method? and I got a used ion exchange chamber online so It was cheap but I sadly didn't get any instructions . it's easy to work but I was curious about the filter inside of it, does it need to be replaced every so often or what I'll take a picture if your curious as to see what it looks like
Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

here it is full of tiny beads an has two colors two them , I just set up a siphon from my tap run it thru this and then into a bucket , then dechlorinate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3313327060.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	73348   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3832795040.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	73349  

Tags
dry, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com