Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dry/Live Rock

Okay, so I have a standard 55G I am going to make into a saltwater reef.

How much dry/live rock should I use?

Should I do a combo of both?

My LFS has the rock in a large bucket. Does this mean it's already cured and is live rock?

Sent from my iPhone.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
As much or as little as you like. If you want hitch hikers from the ocean, then you will want to add live rock to the tank. If not, you can use 100% dry rock.
No, rock submerged in water is no guarantee that it's cycled. Even if there was a sign on the bin that said "cured/cycled rock", I would still treat it as an ammonia source until I was sure (via test kits) that it was not producing any.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dry/Live Rock

I don't want any hitch hikers unless they're gonna pay rent lol.

I think I will get at least one or two pieces of live rock to help seed the tank.

Will that make a difference? The dry rock will release all the dead organisms and such and start the cycle regardless right? Is it much slower?

I'd be using some sort of chemical cycle additive as well as the live sand from my LFS.

This is going to be my first saltwater and eventually reef tank and I don't want to have to deal with any hitch hikers if at all possible.

Sent from my iPhone.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not necessarily. The dry rock will have little to no die off on it to start a cycle. You'll need to add an ammonia source.

Some hitch hikers are good for the tank. Amphipods, copepods, some isopods, common bristle worms, starfish, and such are all generally helpful and make for an interesting reef. "Seeding" the rock with live rock can bring as many hitch hikers as using 100% live. It's a gamble.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I went with four pieces of live rock. Have the salinity right I just am trying to get the sand cloudiness out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415474570.049281.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	255198

I'm also using this as my ammonia source.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415474646.825170.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	255199

I'm about to test the levels right now to see where we are at.

Sent from my iPhone.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't have enough surface area to support livestock IMO. I would buy about 2 to 3 times as much rock before you cycle it. I would think you would have nitrate problems at the very least with that little rock. I can't comment on the fluval product. I've always added an ammonia source (a raw shrimp or large amount of live rock) to start my cycle.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I bought out my LFS of live rock when I went and they're the only place in town that sells it. Waiting till they get more and I'm going to get another couple pieces.

Am I able to do this later or will it cause problems? I'm not going to be putting fish in it for a while I don't think. I want to make sure my water parameters and cycle is perfect and done.

Sent from my iPhone.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The rock is where most of your bb colonize, so you should get it all in and them start the cycle. You can also look into some dry rock from offline somewhere. Should be much cheaper, even if you have to get it shipped.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Its not gonna hurt anything to start the cycle now. Just grab some more rock when you can.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
The rock is where most of your bb colonize, so you should get it all in and them start the cycle. You can also look into some dry rock from offline somewhere. Should be much cheaper, even if you have to get it shipped.
I agree with BigRed.All my rock is base rock from online and it is much cheaper than an LFS. Its been awhile so I do not remember what I paid per lbs but I know it was less that $2.I got rock from Amazon and Drs Fosters and smith.The thing i wish I would have done it got less big pieces and some variety like Tonga or Fiji to go with it.Bulkreefsupply has a good selection.
Good luck!

Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com