Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

dry rock

Hi everyone,
I am about to convert my fresh water tank to a reef tank and would like to ask a question about dry rock. As I am new to saltwater I am a little concerned about the potential to introduce some bad hitchhikers and not knowing how to deal with them if it happens.
If I use only dry rock, how would I start the cycle? And in time, would it be as effective as starting with live rock? I know the cycle will take a lot longer but I dont have an issue with that.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks

Old 09-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want to start a virgin tank, here's what I'd do. Take some of the rocks from the top of your structure and out them into a 1-5 gal pail. Top with water and add a bottle of Dr Tim's or other additive to the bucket. Leave it for 1-2 days with a heater. Then place the rocks back in the tank and start a normal fish less cycle.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

When you are ready to start your cycle buy some Dr Tims One and Only with their ammonia. Follow directions and you'll be cycled in about a week. Did my 75 and 24 nano had no issues.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

no you wont. But the bacteria in the bottle will have eaten all the ammonia. So your ammonia level will hit 0. But once this pretend cycle is complete, you'll have very little BB on your rocks and sand.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

So using a second tank is better? Just know what has worked for me.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would just put all the rock in and toss a raw cocktail shrimp in the tank and wait it out. 3 weeks to a month and you will be good to go.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueerfan View Post
So using a second tank is better? Just know what has worked for me.
Second tank? Now you have me confused.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
no you wont. But the bacteria in the bottle will have eaten all the ammonia. So your ammonia level will hit 0. But once this pretend cycle is complete, you'll have very little BB on your rocks and sand.
Pretend cycle??? No it's not pretend, your bb need continues amounts of ammonia to live, no ammonia in your tank an your bb start dying off unless you have something making small amounts of ammonia that are undetectable with a test kit.
If your ammonia goes to 0. After your cycle your good to add at least one fish if not more to see how the battle goes
Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, I mean pretend in that the burst of BB growth happens in the water coloum. We want to BB to build up on the rocks and substrate. For that we need an abundance of ammonia in the water, which dear old Dr Tim's will sadly remove when we need it the most.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
No, I mean pretend in that the burst of BB growth happens in the water coloum. We want to BB to build up on the rocks and substrate. For that we need an abundance of ammonia in the water, which dear old Dr Tim's will sadly remove when we need it the most.
It builds up where dead matter is, which is in or on you rock or sand or where dead particles build up on like power heads, thermometers anything in your tank pretty much! what's in the water is free floating copepods ( planktonic ) very beneficial to your marine aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com