Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dry rock question

whats a good type of dry rock that i can place with my live rock. i'm lookign to get another 15 pounds of rock for m 26 gallon, since i only have 19 pounds at this time.

my LFS claims Lace rock is very much like live rock but they also claim that life doesn't take to the rock as well as the Live rock does. i was also considering making my own live rock using a recipe i found that uses aggronite sand

only reason why i'm lookign into dry rock is because i don't want to have to cycle since i already have 2 clownfish and a small clean up crew

Old 04-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

No matter what type of rock you get (dry or live) you're going to need to cure the rock before you put it in the tank. Basically you cycle it in a separate container (like a trash can) to ensure nothing on the rocks can cause a mini-cycle in your display tank. You don't need to add an ammonia source, per se, but you need to let it sit and make sure nothing on the rocks causes ammonia in the water column.

It's up to you what kind of rock you want to use, primarily based upon aesthetics. Any type of dry rock will work (even DIY rock which is quite common), so it's just a matter of finding something you like.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

so are they talkign out of thir *** when they say coralline algae doesn't stick to the rock the same?

i planned on washing it with bleach or vinager before i put in it to make sure there was nothing harmful on the rock
Old 04-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How much are they asking? I would get rock for reefcleaners.org if I were you. 2.25/lb plus free shipping after at 30lbs. Awesome looking stuff
Old 04-03-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

last tiem i bought it they were askign $5.49/lbs

Tags
dry, dry rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com