dry rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A predator tank would be fish that are aggressize and eat other fish basically..fish like large eels, anglers, sharks etc

Hi. I am in the same situation I am starting a 90 gallon tank with a 40 gallon refug. I put about 60 pounds of dry rock in it and 30 pounds of live sand in the refuge. I have about 70 pound of live rock in my 30 gallon that I'm going to switch over. Should I us the shrimp idea to. Are u talking shrimp I would eat.lol
Yes. A raw shrimp or two from the grocery store. let them rot in the tank and create ammonia.

i meant more of like a directino to go livestock wise i mean ive done research on fish but what are some good fish to keep. some that would be entertaining to watch

For live stock it's totally up to you but you need to pick like a fish or coral or whatever and kinda build around it there's so many different combos just all depends on your taste

I do like puffers but there not reef safe if you wanted coral then look at tangs there fun to watch there almost always out. But if you go aggressive there's triggers which are also out a lot so like I said lots of combos

you need to decide if you're going reef or not. If not, are you going with a predator tank, or a peaceful fowlr etc. Some fish are not reef safe and will nip at clams, corals, inverts etc. It really is up to you. Once you decide what kind of tank you're going with, do some reasearch into the fish you would like to have and go from there.

I have a dry rock question I might as well ask here instead of starting a new thread. I have a 46G bow front and m awaiting my order of 45lbs dry rock. I planning on making a reef tank. Do I need to add some live rock with the dry or will they dry become live over time? If I need to add LR how much?

orca67 said:
I have a dry rock question I might as well ask here instead of starting a new thread. I have a 46G bow front and m awaiting my order of 45lbs dry rock. I planning on making a reef tank. Do I need to add some live rock with the dry or will they dry become live over time? If I need to add LR how much?

It will become live over time as you cycle your tank.

Yep, you don't need any ocean rock to seed it. Bacteria will grow on the dry rock providing you add an ammonia source to start the cycle. If you want things like coralline algae, you need but to take some shavings from someone's tank, and sprinkle it in the water.

Back
Top Bottom