Dry rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone just looking for some guidance. Never worked with dry rock before to start a reef tank. I picked up some dry rock that was out of another tank. Rock is pretty clean and does not have any visible issues or old hitchhikers. Should I bleach prior to cycling? Or just start the cycle process and monitor water levels? Any help would be appreciated

I’d soak it in some sw for like a week or so and then test the nitrate and phosphate levels to make sure there’s nothing trapped inside that could cause an issue. Also since it came from another tank can you check with that person to make sure they never used any copper based medicine with the rocks in the tank.

I’d soak it in some sw for like a week or so and then test the nitrate and phosphate levels to make sure there’s nothing trapped inside that could cause an issue. Also since it came from another tank can you check with that person to make sure they never used any copper based medicine with the rocks in the tank.

Ok will do. So I should bail on the bleach method I was thinking about? I want to make sure I’m starting with a clean slate.

Back
Top Bottom