DSB advice ..no Southdown in Westown.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlips12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since I can not seem to find the southdown(or equivalent) here in San Jose,CA I was wondering what most reefers are using as an affordable DSB?
Please help out I am desperate. I do not want to use the play sand that I bought since I do not believe it is 100% silica

You don't want silica sand. I believe it is calcium carbonate sand that you want. The silica sand has sharp edges and won't support as many live critters as the calcium carbonate (argonite) sand.

Living close to the ocean, I'd take a bucket, and a big rubbermaid tub in the back up a truck and swipe some beach sand. Beach sand is probably dirty so rinse it several times.

I just spoke to www.purearagonite.com and for 5 (40lb) bags of sand (Buy 4 and the fifth is free) + shipping to San Jose, CA it would be 147.00 Which is pretty steep. My next place to look would be at local or close to local reef clubs, I'm not familiar with CA, but there have got to be tons, and these clubs often order pallets of SD and then sell it off at cost to their members.

If you cannot find anything else, don't lose hope....silica sand will work fine. There are many hobbyists in the same position without a source for reasonably priced aragonite, and the silica sand has performed the same for biological filtration (just lose some of the buffering aid aragonite provides).

Back
Top Bottom