Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2003, 03:47 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
over the years there is a slow buildup of trace elements to a point that they become themselves toxic
Not so much trace elements building up (actually heavy metals according to Dr Controversial, er I mean Ron) but a build up of toxic gasses in the nether regions of the DSB which, after a period of several years, mysteriously make themselves available to the water column and poison the tank. Again, I am not convinced that all DSB's lead directly to OTS with only anecdotal "evidence" of stories of other people's tank crashes. I haven't read of any scientific studies other than Dr. Ron's study on the build up of heavy metals which after several years, supposedly, renders your whole tank useless (sand , LR and tank) until cleaned with muratic acid. I have read about OTS but have not experienced it directly (yet). What opponents to DSB's claim is OTS will not occur in a tank with a bare bottom. I don't think these folks have run a bare bottom for over 5 years to be able to tell. There may very well be an unknown mechanism which causes a reef tank to crash after a half dozen years. Dr. Ron calls it heavy metal, others blame toxic gas in a DSB. Dunno...

Mark

Old 01-20-2003, 04:09 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Thanks for clarifying that.

If anyone wants to read Dr Controversial's (hehe) article on this they can have a look here.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.htm

WARNING!!!

I can not be held responsible for anyone falling asleep at the computer should they decide to read this in one sitting.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:41 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I can not be held responsible for anyone falling asleep at the computer should they decide to read this in one sitting.

Shoulda sent them to the fight between him and Randy, that would maybe keep them awake..LOL. I have been involved in a debate (started nasty, but has calmed to a good discussion) about DSBs on another forum. I can say, some of the points made by the other side have made me think again. I had plans for changing out my substrate to a DSB, and that has gone into a holding pattern, until I research more. One thing I'd like to say about the metal build up, is that Randy Farley has stated that the excess metals are chelated and are not bioavailable, therefore are relatively harmless...unless the bond is broken, freeing the metals. I know lot's of people that claim to have had systems set up for way more than the 4-6 years that DR Ron says it will take for the metals to kill your system.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:13 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I agree with reefrunner. I am like, middle of the road on this subject now. My tank has 2" of sand in it, reason being is, because when I bought my 100 gal, I bought it setup and I didnt want to disturb the tank because it was healthy. However my previous two tanks I used a dsb on both. I never had a problem. I still have never had a problem with either type of setup.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:39 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
However my previous two tanks I used a dsb on both. I never had a problem. I still have never had a problem with either type of setup.
How long were these systems set up? Unless they were running for longer than 5 or 6 years then not having a problem (with tank crashing) is the norm. It is in older setups (6+ yrs) that the problem seems to manifest itself. Although I have kept reef tanks for a dozen years, the longest one tank has been set up is 4 (nearly 5) years. I can say I have had no problems with a DSB. It is in the following years that some would say I will have problems.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:32 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Ya, I never even came close to seeing a OTS. But in the few years those tanks were set up, no problems.

Tags
dsb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com