DSB, CC or what??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
just one question are you going to use the crushed coral on your 175 because ive heard that it is not good to use this substrate with the worms and such that live in the sandbed.

(split this thread into a new topic since it had drifted quite a bit from the original post -Mark)

For a reef tank, I suggest going with a DSB. I would use a gravel vacuum to suck out silt, detritus, and worms (probably mostly brislte) from the CC and add this muck to the new 175 to seed the new sand.

Mark

I would also recomend the DSB, may now look to pretty, but you can always slope it to where its one inch at the front and 5 at the back. Crushed Coral could eventually turn into a nitrate factory and then you are in a bunch of trouble. :wink:

do you have enough LS to cover most of the tank? If so that would not be a problem I dont think.

It is a 4 inch sandbed in the 150, so it should go a good ways towards helping.

Can't I use the DSB from the 150 and then add the coral to the top?
Don't add crushed coral to the top of the sand. I would only put in an inch or so of sand to start. Seems to be quite a little controversy around DSB's and OTS (old tank syndrome) these days. To be on the safe side, I would hold off on putting in the full 4" of sand. Putting it in the refugium instead may be prudent so it can be removed/changed in a few years if DSB's are shown to be related to OTS. I'm not convinced yet but I would play it safe in a new setup.

Mark

Old Tank Syndrome - This is something that some experts have been debating about for a while now. Some experts belive that just like you have new tank syndrome where you have excess nutrients and ammonia after your tank has been established for some years you could experience something called old tank syndrome.

I belive if I remember correctly from my readings about this they theorize that over the years there is a slow buildup of trace elements to a point that they become themselves toxic.

Mark I am sure can elaborate on it more.

over the years there is a slow buildup of trace elements to a point that they become themselves toxic
Not so much trace elements building up (actually heavy metals according to Dr Controversial, er I mean Ron) but a build up of toxic gasses in the nether regions of the DSB which, after a period of several years, mysteriously make themselves available to the water column and poison the tank. Again, I am not convinced that all DSB's lead directly to OTS with only anecdotal "evidence" of stories of other people's tank crashes. I haven't read of any scientific studies other than Dr. Ron's study on the build up of heavy metals which after several years, supposedly, renders your whole tank useless (sand , LR and tank) until cleaned with muratic acid. I have read about OTS but have not experienced it directly (yet). What opponents to DSB's claim is OTS will not occur in a tank with a bare bottom. I don't think these folks have run a bare bottom for over 5 years to be able to tell. There may very well be an unknown mechanism which causes a reef tank to crash after a half dozen years. Dr. Ron calls it heavy metal, others blame toxic gas in a DSB. Dunno...

Mark

I can not be held responsible for anyone falling asleep at the computer should they decide to read this in one sitting.

rotlaugh.gif
Shoulda sent them to the fight between him and Randy, that would maybe keep them awake..LOL. I have been involved in a debate (started nasty, but has calmed to a good discussion) about DSBs on another forum. I can say, some of the points made by the other side have made me think again. I had plans for changing out my substrate to a DSB, and that has gone into a holding pattern, until I research more. One thing I'd like to say about the metal build up, is that Randy Farley has stated that the excess metals are chelated and are not bioavailable, therefore are relatively harmless...unless the bond is broken, freeing the metals. I know lot's of people that claim to have had systems set up for way more than the 4-6 years that DR Ron says it will take for the metals to kill your system.

I agree with reefrunner. I am like, middle of the road on this subject now. My tank has 2" of sand in it, reason being is, because when I bought my 100 gal, I bought it setup and I didnt want to disturb the tank because it was healthy. However my previous two tanks I used a dsb on both. I never had a problem. I still have never had a problem with either type of setup.

However my previous two tanks I used a dsb on both. I never had a problem. I still have never had a problem with either type of setup.
How long were these systems set up? Unless they were running for longer than 5 or 6 years then not having a problem (with tank crashing) is the norm. It is in older setups (6+ yrs) that the problem seems to manifest itself. Although I have kept reef tanks for a dozen years, the longest one tank has been set up is 4 (nearly 5) years. I can say I have had no problems with a DSB. It is in the following years that some would say I will have problems.

Back
Top Bottom