Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2004, 02:55 PM   #1

DSB critters...

Does anyone know where I can get some DSB critters for my tank? I'm worried I don't have enough if any to keep from going anaerobic.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

From what I've read, good places are www.inlandaquatic.com and www.ipsf.com. I am planning on buying some critters too.

I have a question to add.

I'm starting a 46g tank with about 4 in sand, 2 of which was the "live containing bacteria" kind that you buy in a bag. It is going through its cycle right now.

Before I add fish, should I get BOTH a detrivore kit for the sand bed, AND a clean up crew kit for the top and the 40lbs live rock i have? (I'm looking at the clean-up crew here: http://www.justphish.com/saltwater/c...upstandard.htm)

Thats a good $150 for a bunch of critters.

Furthermore, people say that the $99 mix and match kit at Indo-PAcific Sea farms is a great deal. For my setup, are there any suggestions on how to mix/match?

Old 02-20-2004, 07:41 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Get the Inland aquatics detrivore kit and nothing else for a week or two. Give them time to get established. The ISPF detrivore kit was disappointing in quantity.

Then add your clean-up crew. I got on from justphish too and wish I had gone without the hermits. Get a selection of snails, the shrimp and a brittle star or two. A fighting conch is also great to have.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:34 PM   #4

where in wisconsin are you? Im in milwaukee and have a ton of life in my DSB. You can stop by and have a free cup if you want. I'll even give you a frag or two of some red sea xenia!
Old 02-20-2004, 11:36 PM   #5

As a side note i never added a kit. I let the life from the rock migrated own. I have mini brittle stars and a ton of worms and pods and other stuff i do not know what it is. I think good live rock will take care of everything for you.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
I live in MN where about in WI are you?
Old 02-21-2004, 12:01 AM   #7

way down south in Milwaukee. I am about 6 hours from the twin cities!
Old 02-21-2004, 12:25 AM   #8

I live right next to Madison! I appreciate all the feed back I'm getting..Thanks!
Old 02-21-2004, 01:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Quote:
The ISPF detrivore kit was disappointing in quantity.
I got the Det kit from Inland and it completely corrected all the deficencies in my Liveaquaria live rock order. My live rock didn't have a single living cell on it when I got it, but the Inland kit was an instant boom and I am incredibly pleased. Only shady part is you MUST add the shipping water, however its been two weeks and everything is fine in my tank. Inland are good people, I highly recommend. About to do my first bit of business with IPSF i'll post about it after the transaction.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:24 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
About to do my first bit of business with IPSF i'll post about it after the transaction.
Brisc0, what are you ordering from IPSF?
I got their detrivore kit first and was a bit disappointed in the pod quantities. Inland's was much better.
I am considering a 2nd order from IPSF for their 9 for 99 mix n match special. I think I want to try the sand clams and a few others. Some people have only praised them so I'm willing to given them a 2nd chance.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com