DSB critters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Does anyone know where I can get some DSB critters for my tank? I'm worried I don't have enough if any to keep from going anaerobic.

From what I've read, good places are www.inlandaquatic.com and www.ipsf.com. I am planning on buying some critters too.

I have a question to add.

I'm starting a 46g tank with about 4 in sand, 2 of which was the "live containing bacteria" kind that you buy in a bag. It is going through its cycle right now.

Before I add fish, should I get BOTH a detrivore kit for the sand bed, AND a clean up crew kit for the top and the 40lbs live rock i have? (I'm looking at the clean-up crew here: http://www.justphish.com/saltwater/currentstock/currentstockcleanupstandard.htm)

Thats a good $150 for a bunch of critters.

Furthermore, people say that the $99 mix and match kit at Indo-PAcific Sea farms is a great deal. For my setup, are there any suggestions on how to mix/match?

Get the Inland aquatics detrivore kit and nothing else for a week or two. Give them time to get established. The ISPF detrivore kit was disappointing in quantity.

Then add your clean-up crew. I got on from justphish too and wish I had gone without the hermits. Get a selection of snails, the shrimp and a brittle star or two. A fighting conch is also great to have.

where in wisconsin are you? Im in milwaukee and have a ton of life in my DSB. You can stop by and have a free cup if you want. I'll even give you a frag or two of some red sea xenia!

As a side note i never added a kit. I let the life from the rock migrated own. I have mini brittle stars and a ton of worms and pods and other stuff i do not know what it is. I think good live rock will take care of everything for you.

I live right next to Madison! I appreciate all the feed back I'm getting..Thanks!

The ISPF detrivore kit was disappointing in quantity.
I got the Det kit from Inland and it completely corrected all the deficencies in my Liveaquaria live rock order. My live rock didn't have a single living cell on it when I got it, but the Inland kit was an instant boom and I am incredibly pleased. Only shady part is you MUST add the shipping water, however its been two weeks and everything is fine in my tank. Inland are good people, I highly recommend. About to do my first bit of business with IPSF i'll post about it after the transaction.

About to do my first bit of business with IPSF i'll post about it after the transaction.
Brisc0, what are you ordering from IPSF?
I got their detrivore kit first and was a bit disappointed in the pod quantities. Inland's was much better.
I am considering a 2nd order from IPSF for their 9 for 99 mix n match special. I think I want to try the sand clams and a few others. Some people have only praised them so I'm willing to given them a 2nd chance.

I have bought from IPSF twice, both mix and match. The quantities are somewhat small, but everything worked out very well. The pods were a little skimpy in numbers, but that seems to be the case with any order from anywhere. Most of the stuff from my fix order went into the sand has not been seen since, but all of my levels are pegged at 0 so I am not questioning it. My last order was for all the Tang Heaven and a pod breeding kit so I can start growing food for my tang and my mandarin. I got the Anthelia Polyps and was very disappointed in the size of them. They were about 1/2", but if they grow I will be happy. I have found a place online that sells Amphipods and Copepods in large and small culture. I have not tried LFSCultures.com, but I am going to this week to see if the quantities are better. I will post on it later. Hope that is a little help. 0X

Back
Top Bottom