Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to mike0179
DSB mid-cycle?

I wonder, is it safe to convert from a SSB to a DSB in mid cycle? Ive heard that the bacteria that are responsible for the nitrogen cycle reside on the surfaces of your tank. If that is in fact true, would there be any repercussions to burying these creatures in about 2" of aragonite sand then another shallow layer of LS? (stuff is expensive!) Would this cause another short-term ammonia/nitrite spike since your destroying a significant number of the beneficial bacteria? I honestly wouldn’t care if it wasn’t for my yellow-tail. He’s been through enough stress as it is

With a DSB I've heard rumors that you need no further filtration other than *maybe* a protein skimmer. Is that true?

Old 04-13-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You can safly increase the depth of your sand bed if you do it slowly. I wouldnt dump 3"+ on the existing sand bed but you could add say an inch a week to build up the sand bed.

With a DSB and LR the only other thing you would use is a skimmer. This is indeed how many of us run our tanks. now you also need to remember the need for 'sand sifters' as well as ample water flowing thru the system.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to mike0179
The sand I am currently using is *extremely* small particle size. I’ve heard you need around .5 - 2mm with about 1.25 as a good average. The stuff I’m using now is about .1 - .5mm. Would I need to replace it or simply put a larger grain (or the same small stuff I’m using now) over it?
Old 04-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The smaller particles will come to the surface as the heaver particles sift to the bottom.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, dsb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com