DSB mid-cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike0179

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wonder, is it safe to convert from a SSB to a DSB in mid cycle? Ive heard that the bacteria that are responsible for the nitrogen cycle reside on the surfaces of your tank. If that is in fact true, would there be any repercussions to burying these creatures in about 2" of aragonite sand then another shallow layer of LS? (stuff is expensive!) Would this cause another short-term ammonia/nitrite spike since your destroying a significant number of the beneficial bacteria? I honestly wouldn’t care if it wasn’t for my yellow-tail. He’s been through enough stress as it is :)

With a DSB I've heard rumors that you need no further filtration other than *maybe* a protein skimmer. Is that true?

You can safly increase the depth of your sand bed if you do it slowly. I wouldnt dump 3"+ on the existing sand bed but you could add say an inch a week to build up the sand bed.

With a DSB and LR the only other thing you would use is a skimmer. This is indeed how many of us run our tanks. now you also need to remember the need for 'sand sifters' as well as ample water flowing thru the system.

The sand I am currently using is *extremely* small particle size. I’ve heard you need around .5 - 2mm with about 1.25 as a good average. The stuff I’m using now is about .1 - .5mm. Would I need to replace it or simply put a larger grain (or the same small stuff I’m using now) over it?

The smaller particles will come to the surface as the heaver particles sift to the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom