Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-16-2003, 07:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie
secret to DSB

This is a 220 with a 5 year old DSB (between 8 - 10 inch) It has 0 levels of everything. The secret is a lot of critters.

Nassarius vibex snails
These little "zombies" are the most efficient and safest scavenger to use in a reef aquarium. They eat excess food and fish waste to keep your substrate fresh and clean.

Florida Cerith Snails
Cerith snails do a very wonderful thing. Not only do they eat algae!...and detris...but they also eat cyanobacteria! They are long and attractive.

Bubble Snail
This snail is an excellent snail to get to clean up diatoms. The Bubble snail will cover itself with sand and feed on Diatoms while it travels along the substrate.

Most experienced reefkeepers strongly believe in the beneficial effects of bristle worms on the sand bed (see, for example, http://www.ipsf.com/bristleworms.html I hold the view that bristle worms and other sand bed scavengers are vitally important components of reef ecosystems, both captive and wild.

Spaghetti Worms
The common name of these annelids from the family Terrebellidae. These highly active worms have bright red buccal tentacles which extend out over the sand bed to gather suitably sized particulate materials, which they "lasso" by tentacular contraction. It's fascinating to watch, and it sure beats vacuuming your sand bed. Here's a bonus: you can count on these worms to reproduce in your tank because they have direct development (no planktonic stage).

The Two Spot Goby
Also referred to as the Twinspot Goby, Signal Goby, or Crabeye Goby. The head and body are white splattered with orange markings. Its erect dorsal fins are distinctly marked by eyespots.

Usually the Two Spot Goby feeds off the bottom sifting through the sand for food.

Dale City VA (Woodbridge Area)

get a free web site for your tank
Aquariareview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 08:40 PM   #12
Beautiful tank!
Old 11-17-2003, 04:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Not to be argumentative, but I'd be interested to know what you have to back this up about the depth of the sandbed.
I can't, and as far as I know there's been no real side by side study on the issue other than some quasi quantified extrapolation. Basically it's common sense that you really can't have a sand bed too deep, but it's possible to have them too shallow, and that the denser the packing of substrate the shallower the bed can be. Otherwise, I'm with the growing crowd that insists the true optimum depth is not as deep as we previously believed.

The only real way to bring this to a conclusion would be to set up identically stocked tanks with 1", 3" and 6" sandbeds, and then plot waste products over about a year from each tank *without* using a skimmer. We could then argue to our hearts content about what to stock the tanks with and lighting 8)

I'm at a loss though as to what's worse; UGFs, or cannister filters sold with 'bio beds'.
wseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 04:27 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I can see your line of reasoning and, you're right, it does make sense. It would take some $$ to do an experiment like that though...rules me out.
I'd have to say the UGF due to the fact that the canister is easier to remove.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:23 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus
here is a few for ya

Make sure you check out

mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com