Dual Sump Design, Good Idea or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alarmguy66

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has been up and cycling for almost a month Nitrites are beginning to fall, so soon I will be adding more stuff (YEA!)

Here is what i I am considering doing, what I would like is some feedback on design flaws I may have overlooked. 55 gal, mag 7 (4'head), remora skimmer, CPR overflow, 45 lbs (for now) lr. Feed the overflow into sump #1, which will be an old 10 gal w/slate bottom on opposite side of wall. Drill hole in the slate, insert 1"pvc to height I want water to stand, PVC will go straight down into sump #2 (also 10 gal). Sump 2 will feed back to aquarium via 3/4" pvc. Sump#1 will have dsb and be used to raise macros, pods, and maybe a mangrove or 2, sump 1 will house skimmer, heater and pump. I already have a cabinet to house both sumps.

Bonus question - should my return to the pump be low, mid, or high in the tank?

I seek your wisdom.

I would be concerned about the slate bottom tank in SW, is it a stainless steel tank? If I were gonna use this, I would coat the bottom with silicone so the SW could not pick up anything from the slate. Other than that I think it's fine. As for your return...I place them high in the tank and angle them downward.

I would be concerned about drilling a hole in slate. I think it will destroy the piece of slate. Have you tried this before?

Back
Top Bottom